Old 10-02-2004   #1
Costa Rica in January

Reading all these South America threads has got me amped. Does anybody know how much water there is in Costa Rica in January (first two weeks). From what I've been able to glean, the "rainy season" usually ends in December. But it is a rain-forest, and commercial companies are pitching trips all through the North American winter. So I don't know, any info would be greatly appreciated.

JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004   #2

i've heard there isn't much water in jan in costa rica.

i hope to have jan off work and go boatin and quite a few people have recommended equador?

i curreently have no plans but something like that for the whole of jan.

if you find anything out, i wouldn't say no to you passing on the info.

kayakingricht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #3
water levels

There is always water down here it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to explore the steep Costa Rican creeks then get on a plane now and enjoy the rainiest month of the year (October) because they wont run in January. But if you want nearly endless class IV in warm water, read no gear required, then January will still be fine. The rafting companies do most of their business in the low water seasons because thats when the tourists are here. They run every day of the year and only shut down if there is too much water. Low water here is much bigger than low water in places like CO but you didn't need me to tell you that. Also the carribean is getting pounded with rain in January and you can find some stuff there. So long story short Jan. is deffinately not the best time to be here and you will deffinately want to look into other options, but there is still great stuff to boat and the country is nicer to visit because it doesn't rain every day.
Poudre Pacuare Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica