Old 02-15-2005   #1
Cortez/Dolores, CO, Colorado
Costa Rica help?

I'm going to be in Turrialba for 3 days later this month and would like to paddle. Unfortunately the kids are too young to be on the river, so I'm going solo. Any help on outfitters or other ideas for me? I spoke to Costa Rica Rios and they pretty much don't serve single people unless you can sign up for one of their package multi-day deals, and I haven't gotten a response from Rios Tropicales yet...

doloresdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #2
Talk to Roberto at Tico Tours. If he's got a raft trip going, he'll find a way to make room for you. I paddled along with their safety kayaker, (a kid that surfed waves right in front of the raft and got himself munched a few times). Roberto's got a few older whitewater boats; xxx, Mr. Clean, and a couple more. Boat, shuttle, lunch was around $40. It's located over a small bridge on the main road that goes to the east edge of town. All the locals know him, just ask and they can point to his shop from anywhere in town.

I found Rios to be useless. Made arrangements the night before to spend $100ish to rent a kayak and jump in on a trip. THe following morning they didn't have room.

Rios and Tropicales both had a piss-off attitude unless you had 10 people with $1200 each.

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Go to the Hotel Interamericano (near the main square) and ask Blanca if there are any kayakers staying there right now. If there are, get a group together and rent a shuttle from Diego (she has his number). He can also boat the river with you while his wife runs shuttle- I bet it would cost you around $60. He doesn't speak much English, but he's a good boater, knows the river and is fun hang with. If you need to rent a boat, you might have to go through one of mescalimick's suggestions.

Have a great time-
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Costa Rica Rios

Thats too bad about Costa Rica Rios. 3 of us a trip with them 3 or 4 years ago and they were willing to work anything with us. I guess the new ownership isn't as flexible.

The advice on the Hotel Interamericano is good. You should be able to hook up with some paddlers there.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #5
The other rafting companies around town are pretty cool as well. Try Phil at Rainforest world and Lee at Loco's. Same as at Ticos if they are running a trip they'll take you down. Phil has some boats to rent out, but I don't knw if Lee has any anymore.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #6
I spent a week boating with diego (mentioned in el flaco's post) in december,and would highly recommend him.
We paid him around $60 dollars a day for a shuttle (split between 6 of us) and ocassionally had him run the the river with us as a guide, which he would do for just a few dollars more.
He's a great guy, a solid boater, and i really liked working with him. He charges far less than the gringo outfits and i kind of like the idea of giving my business to the locals. His english seems to be very much improved, since el flaco saw him last. If you are solo, check with him, he may have some others in a similiar situation to make it more economical for all. He doesn't require a weeklong committment to work with you.
He lives in turrialba.....his contact info is.....
Diego Rodriquez
Costa Rica Kayaks excursions
email is
phone #(s) are ...... (506) 556-4679 / 363-4539
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yep- it was in July of 2000..... Damn- looks like I need to plan another trip.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #8
, Colorado
Boating next week in CR

I'll be boating out of Turrialba Sun - Mon - Tue y Wed. I will be with a friend (Jeramy) that used to guide at Costa Rico Rios. He has everything lined up with a friend of his, might be Diego - not sure. Anyway, you might want to join us. I think the gear is $25 a day and we would split the $50 for the shuttle.
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #9
Cortez/Dolores, CO, Colorado

I finally reached Rios Tropicales by phone, and Greg was very cool there. I think I will try to get equipment from them and boat with Diego. I'm looking for a play run, perhaps like the numbers or something. Should I just run the Pacuare twice or is it worth it to try the Revantezon or others?
Thanks again -
doloresdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #10
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
The Reventazon is worth it if you can make it happen. I paddled it at about 6000 cfs and it was great fun. A guide on this section is good because there are a few rapids you want to know the locations and which channels to take. It is more challenging than the Pacqaure and definitely a lot of class IV fun. Drink Guaro!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica