Old 11-15-2011   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Costa Rica beta?

Looking for some Costa Rica kayaking advise. I'll be living Monteverde from Jan through June. Won't be able to take any gear, but would like to hook up with a local group or company where I can rent gear. I know a lot of people head down with a guided / provided trip from the USA, but does anyone have any in-country experiences to share?

And, I'm looking for IV-V. Anyone have any recommendations?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
costa rica rios in turrialba used to rent gear. lots of shuttles in turrialba too - the hotel interamericano is a good spot to find one. Upper Pacuare is a fun IV+ run with relatively shuttle access.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I second the Costa Rica Rios suggestion. Also, you should pick up the book "Chasing Jaguars", Chasing Jagaurs: The Complete Guide to Costa Rican Whitewater (9780964369870): Lee Eudy: Books
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Hey im down in Costa right now and theres some good stuff running. Upper Pacuare is a sick IV-V run. Pozo Azul is a sweet park and huck 30 footer. I'm not sure if its still in but the Patria is a stout multi day trip. I'd recommend basing yourself out of Turrialba for a good kayaking community and rivers.
HenryHeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #5
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I'll be there in 2 weeks. Our crew is heading north to the La Virgen area for IV/V paddling. I'll send you contacts and info when I get back in Dec.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Hey Ski_kayak365, why don't you get a job or something.
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #7
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Did the Pacaure in the summer and it is awesome!
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #8
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
the Rio Vereh doesnt see much action but it has a sweet 40 footer and lots of fun boofs/boogy stuff. It also has a few death sieves so heads up. The last drop lands into the upper upper pacuare.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #9
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you haven't seen it yet:

The Colorado Kayak Chronicle: Costa Rica: The Goods Part I

The Colorado Kayak Chronicle: Costa Rica: Going bigger

We were based out of Alajuela near San Jose. There is some boating near Monte Verde (the Naranjo I think). Costa Rica is a totally under appreciated kayaking destination - take your gear.

Turrialba is completely over-rated except for the Vereh unless you're looking for class 3-4. Mostly playboaters and raft guides. There are a few who will get out and it may be the best place to rent a boat. I would start by checking in with Cacho at Mi Tierra when you're ready to boat.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Very impressive Joe and Cutch ,i enjoyed reading that again ! I was gonna question the " CR is totally under appreciated" comment ,but i guess it's all relative. C R may be under appreciated as a creeking and exploratory destination,pretty awesome you could go there for such a short time and get 1st and rare D's [ helps to know the big dogs and be good enough to hang],but it probably gets as many visiting boaters as the other 6 C A countries combined and has for a lot longer.Granted most of them are commercial rafters,playboaters and 3-4 wannabes like me. The other countries have a lot to offer and a lot fewer boaters !! Mexico has much more ,though an unfair comparison since it's 40 times as big,but Chiapas alone can hold it's own quantity and quality wise and gets maybe one tenth the boaters ,if that.No offense to CR,i'd love to go there,just reminding that there is tons of good whitewater throughout C A. Costa is definitely the easiest one to find boats ,guides,shuttles,other boaters ,etc. There are some boating hubs Boquete, Lanquin,La Ceiba/Las Mangas, in the others[ Tapachula should be] but not on the scale of Costa Rica.

I used to have some flyer for a raft company that operated around Monteverde /Arenal [Desafio ?] I think they ran the Penas Blancas, Toro,and some other rivers a lot closer than Turrialba.La Virgen is a hub a little closer.The Naranjo in Chasing Jaguars is over by Quepos/Pac .coast,unless it is a different one of the many Rio Naranjos in CA. It seems like there is a lot of stuff not in Chasing Jaguars [ not very old] including a few in Joe's post.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica