Old 01-09-2012   #1
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Cops called on me for kayaking :)

So the rain started pouring in Killeen Texas where I'm visiting and I decided to go scout the "creek" through town. The video is from 75-100 ft away. The wave was about 35 ft wide and pretty decent. As I hopped out of my blazer to get my gear on some city folk asked if I was gonna get in that. I said hell yeah. After surfing for a good 20min with many people videoing and picture taking (mid Texas isn't very physically active) the 5-0 showed up...three of them! I saw them as I was surfin and stayed in the wave since I couldn't "hear" them yelling get out

One of the officers ran down to the grass and I paddled over to him and he was nearly hysterical as he was asking if I was was a class II wave afterall. After I got out and explained kayaking a bit he still couldn't grasp why you would choose to get in the water. So I packed up the hill and 3 patrol cars were waiting. I explained I scouted the section below the wave and had put in about 1/4 mile up. They all kept saying I have no idea what is down river and I could get hurt. They said they had numerous 911 calls saying someone was trapped in the river (I was on a very busy street). Just then the ambulance finally arrived after 3-4 min of chatting with the cops...then the FD showed up a few minutes later. I had to refuse a check up by the EMTs from the ambulance as they thought I was hurt? The cops waved off the FD.

One of the cops was saying how can you kayak on this river since it's not a lake? I said huh? He could not comprehend being on a river instead of a lake. Anyway, I told them I was going to go scout the other river in town where I found a better wave and got a good hour of quality spins and such in.
He said alright but he might be called in to rescue me and if so I couldn't kayak there either.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There is a good chance you were more equipped to deal with a whitewater rescue than the authorities...not that you needed rescued. Dumb rednecks. Good for you for getting some Winter paddling in.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The cops thought you might throw up all over them when they told you it was sewage waste water! Watch out for the brown trout down stream.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #4
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I work in law enforcement in SS, and they are not equipped for whitewater rescue. One of my coworkers almost drowned trying to save, what they thought was a kid. Turned out to be a poor drunk guy who fell off his bike into a raging creek that fed into the Yampa... very unfortunate accident, but it could have been worse if more lives were lost trying to save another. I find it that most people are clueless about whitewater unless they're avid rafters/kayakers... not very common. I think I'm the only one in this area.
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think you missed a real opportunity here. You should have ripped off your shirt, video taped the incident with your Canon 7D and GoPro, thrown a brown claw, and set it to epilepsy-inducing music.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #6
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
... to clarify, I think I'm the only one in law enforcement other than the State Parks guys that raft Cross Mountain/Yampa Canyon.
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #7
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You should have stayed in a little longer, banged out some killer tricks then take off down streams!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #8
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Easy on us rednecks, lmeyers. Can you use the word ignorant instead of stupid? The only things they know in TX is football, bbq, and drinkin.

Just trying to be funny, being PC is not my worry.

I do love how people that have no idea what is going on will always tell you "You cant do that". We actually ran into this a few years ago, on Clear Creek by Georgetown.

Glad you had a good time and found something fun to do in TX. I have to head down there in August and am hoping to do a little feral hog mitigation for my TX fun.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #9
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I wonder how they would have reacted if you were whooping and hollering and laughing and smiling and having way too much fun?

One of them might have been thinking, "Hey, can he teach me how to do that?"
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #10
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
HAHAHA... that was awesome...I mean really all those people that got bent out of shape because you were surfing? In Colorado they'd just try and build a park so the town could make money off it

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote