Old 06-24-2007   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Coors Falls at High Water

Yesterday, 6/23/07, we went to check out Coors Falls. It's supposed to be the easiest water fall in Colorado, and I believe that. The only problem is that the difficulty of the run builds and builds each time you go off line and run the next drop. At this level the main drop looks easy, but the eddies are a bit small and the current is moving nice. Here are some cell phone pics of the falls.

The best eddy at this level is on river right. Not idea for some guys in their playboats just trying to play off of the first drop. There is potential to miss this and go down the second drop.

Here is the second drop. The hydraulic at the bottom looks much worse/fun than the first drop. To a guy who has never run a fall it looks to have excellent stern squirt potential. You might end up "playing" for a bit. If this goes wrong you will probably en up running the third drop.

This third drop looks serious. It might be a lot easier that it looked, but I couldn't really say. If you are luck you might get caught in the river right strainers and not have to run it.

Here is the right most line of the third drop.

bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #2
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
That shiat looks good to go, who gots the lighter?

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #3
Big Building with Gear
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The first drop is a blast. Number 2 gives up some awesome downtime if you choose to pencil it in. Number 3 is a bit tricky. I've always liked the left slot better than the right, the right is manky and has a sweet boat crackin' pin rock right where you'd wanna make the s-turn into the slot. Watch your head on the left though.
2510 47th St #A1, Boulder
Alpine Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #4
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
the 3rd drop changed after the flush last year, the right line is way better now & the left isn't getting as much water so it's pretty scrapey.

it's all a blast at 300, btw, at this level the first falls is pretty sticky if you don't go straight off it.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #5
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
What about the rest of the run at this "high" it good to go.

Also, what about Woods Creek? Anybody running the dam and the creek lately? Is it G2G?

I am thinking about running them both this wk end for the 1st time, so will have to scout.

Kaleb- I think i ran Bear Creek with you a couple years ago....why don't you run these creeks with us?
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
I kayak DH.
West fork is STRONG at 300ish, fun run, no looking back!!
yes, the rest is clean, at least was 2 weeks ago (been in AK, just got back yesterday).

Woods was also clean & is easy to scout, but (and that's a big but) the mine guys recently blocked of the access to it with a huge boulder, so they must have seen someone up there, not sure how good an idea it may be to spend much time in there.
Old 06-25-2007   #7
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Is Hwy. 40 Rapid clean too?
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #8
I kayak DH.
2 river wide right after hwy 40 that you could scrape under at 220, at 300 they've probably gotta go. I'll look on my way home from work & report back.
Old 06-25-2007   #9
Gotta make sure you know where the wood is on this run before putting on above 350. Check the big 3 on the drive up to the put in.

Our crew went in a cut out the trees below I-40 since they were a pain in the ass to portage around.

Came back a few days later after the peak at 400 and some wood had moved around. I-40 had a log jammed in the left side as of last Wednesday and this is where all of the water is pushing. Heads up. All other rapids were clean at that time.

More water is better if you can deal with the push. Your boat will appreciate it.

Front Range mankin' at it's best. Get it while you can!
Slot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #10
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
The Mank Crew fired up Woods a couple weeks ago. Watch the piton at the bottom. I doubt we were spotted, it was late in the afternoon. We hiked up from way down anyway, so I'm not sure were the new boulder is.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote