Old 01-12-2004   #1
Coolest event?

On the premise that freestyle events are fundamentally dull, anyone go to any events last year where the format was unusual or fun? I guess the Steamboat rodeo had people just take as many rides as they could in their 10 minute heat. All rideas were videoed and then winners were picked fromt he edited video. Something like that. Anyone hear of any other cool ones?

chunderboy pinatas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004   #2
Hey Rico,

Green River comp was fun because the night before they brought out a big spotlight, and then set up 5 medium sized fire pits on the side of the river. We didn't judge anything that night, but it was a sweet exhibition. I remember it started raining and the wind came up a little. Teh smoke was blowing across the hole, and everyone was going off. Cory Volt and Ben Guska had some sick doubles rides.

I think almost every comp in a town should have night finals. It really brings the crowd together, and makes the event more of a party scene.

Back to class. The teacher is eyeing me.

Kyle McCutchen

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004   #3
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish

Green River Rodeo. As well as the Fire pits, they also had huge lights up as well! They truly treat you like rockstars. They allowed us to design the hole before the comp to how we like it! I mean they came up to us with huge blocks of concrete and a backhoe, and we turned this 1 ft ripple of a wave, into a easy going retentive hole. Not be best for loops, but not impossible. Cartwheels were endless! The shrimp gumbo was the bomb diggity! And I looked 21 to everyone

Best atmoshpere ever, all you had to do to hold a VIP pass, was to have a boat on your rig! Keep it up Green River!
See ya there next year!

Ben Guska

P.S. cutch your fat!
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004   #4
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
the teva mtn games in vail were a good was judged not just on point per trick, but overallentertainment value, difficulty, etc, etc...rumor has it there will be a bell for people to ring next year as they throw loops...

also, the gauley rodeo down the river is another good event...
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Rico, FIBArk will be trying something new this freestyle event at all...instead we will be scoring competitors on "parking lot vibe" this basically looks at who is presenting the coolest mini-scene in the parking lot over the four days of the event. We will be scoring on categorys like "Most Original Trucker Mesh Hat", "Most Sponsored Paddlers Under One EZ UP At One Time", "Do You Have a Skateboard?", and "Keeping It Real CD Collection" (which shows that you have always been down by playing old school punk and hip hop so that everyone can hear it, big trick bonus for Minor Threat and Eric B & Rakim)

Don't worry if you are not a pro we will score RV's and Toyota Pick-Ups on the same system.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004   #6
What about the "best sidelong glance at the semi-hot beginner paddler girl who wanders by" event? Or even the more advanced, "Half-hearted attempt to pick up said girl by offering to paddle with them on Frog Rock" comp?
rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #7
hawia sur rhone

In Lyon France the judges scored your three best tricks. So instead of doing as many ends as possible the paddler would focus on making each one as huge as possible. Longer set up but huge air. I have to say that the three hours of fibark that I watched were pretty damn exciting. Of course I think there were 12 hours of competition and you can't change that unless you go invitational which is lame.

PS " most butt crack out of the surf short division." Mike would win for sure. "Best Soul Patch" of Course in the "Cutest Kid" catagory Otter would take them all.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #8
Wanna-be Medical Student
I had a blast in the Steamboat comp. There was plenty of time for everybody to warm up, get the bugs out, and try just about anything they wanted during the allowed time. Most people, myself included, were pretty dead about halfway through the heat. There were two prizes per division, best ride and best trick. The prizes were picked by the audience from a video of the best rides and tricks at the post-event dinner and raffle.

It was a great way to bring a bunch of boaters together for some spectator friendly competition and it didn't monopolize the wave for the entire day (or weekend). I really hope we run it the same way this spring.

Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote