Old 08-07-2009   #71
Small cooler management

I have a Yeti Sherpa 25 qt -- I'm a canoeist, and that's the size that fits. I've tried standard approaches -- (1) using a freezer, freezing a bottom layer for ice; (2) freezing water containers and then filling spaces with water and freezing; (3) using block ice and cubes to fill.

All goods packed in cooler frozen or refrigerated. Only open cooler in evening, morning. Drape with wet towel during the day.

Ice is gone by day 5.

I'm going to experiment with dry ice, but I'm beginning to feel the cooler may be too small to expect better.

Has anyone had better results?

golson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #72
Jenks, Oklahoma
that is an awfully small chunk of ice. I am surprised that it lasted 5 days.

you are managing the cooler well, so my guess is you need a bigger cooler.

I routinely get 3 blocks of Safeway Ice last 7 days maybe 8 days if I manage the cooler well. This is in a 125 qt cooler.

check the up scale coolers for different sizes. seems like galaxy and others are offering cube shaped coolers that may work for you.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #73
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You are correct. With all of the high end coolers ice retention has a limit when you consider how much cold mass you can actually start with. You could get longer results but only if you started with more ice then you would not have room for your good, Not much use in that. The Galaxy Cooler 60 cube can work nicely in a canoe. Not too high, not too wide and can keep food and drink cold for more then 5 days. You can fit 4 blocks in there with a little chiseling and have cold for close to ten days. Check out the sizes at Galaxy Coolers - THE TOUGHEST, COLDEST ICEBOX IN THE WORLD! and let me know if I can be of assistance. Thank you Marty from Galaxy
GalaxyCoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #74
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I was kind of hit in the gut to see a thread started by Tiggy bumped up to the top again. Such a sad reminder of all the people, and Buzzard friends, we've lost this year. Be safe out there. Take a rescue class, practice your throw bag skills, and read a rescue book for a refresher. The "River Rescue" book by Slim Ray and Les Bechdel is out with a new 4th edition.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #75
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I was kind of hit in the gut to see a thread started by Tiggy bumped up to the top again.
I am sure Tiggy would of wanted the thread that he started to continue to help people with their raft/kayak/canoe gear. Think of it as a tribute to Tiggy.

Where does one find that foil faced bubble wrap? I am headed up to the plains of Wyoming for a 5 day camping trip and figured I would experiment with my cooler management. I can fit a 52quart cooler in my chest freezer, so I have it in there with 5" of water on the bottom become one good sized block. Now to get some foil faced bubble wrap to place on the ice and I will see if I can make a cheap cooler keep ice for 5 days!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #76
Mt Hood, Oregon
foil bubble wrap is at home depot, comes in different widths, different places but last time over by the insulation.
We make and reuse boxes for inside our coolers separating frozen stuff and dry ice and less cold (lettuce etc) and colder stuff. Then put a layer on top and occ. between the layers
I freeze 2 liter and gallon jugs for ice. keeps things cold and on last day or so that icy water is a gift.
Freeze a milk also.
We also wrap our 5 gallon orange drink cooler on the outside.

last trip on the san juan, we had solid frozen meat etc 6 days after leaving oregon and had to thaw dinner on day 6
The bubble wrap seems to help
eastcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #77
Denver, Colorado
To confirm/corroborate, I just dropped about $10 on an roll that is 2 feet by 10 feet, at Home Depot. The brand was Reflectix,, and the label shows many uses including lining coolers. Larger rolls are available as well, for more dough of course.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #78
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Where does one find that foil faced bubble wrap?
Home Depot-type stores, ACE Hardware, Tru-Value: lots of places. A common name is Reflectix Insulation. I bought a 25 ft. roll, 24 inches wide.

Besides the cooler blanket you can cut long pieces to use under ThermaRest pads for snow camping. It keeps you warmer and also prevents melting out a hollow in the snow.

I also made a reflective screen for my workspace, to bounce back the radiant heat. Besides using it as insulation.

If you have one of those windshield heat reflectors that you're not using, you can cut that to fit and not have to buy anything.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #79
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
We just got back from a 6 day trip to Wyoming. I tested my ability to make a cheap ass igloo cooler I bought 20 years ago with no latch and big metal hinges I screwed into the foam with wood screws, keep ice. I also used a $40 Coleman 70quart cooler with very little insulation.

I placed a single store bought block of ice in the smaller Igloo cooler with 5lbs of dry ice. I placed the foil lined bubble wrap over the ice and then filled the cooler with beer. The Coleman had 3 milk jugs frozen + 5lbs of dry ice. Bubble wrap covered that ice too and then I filled the cooler with our food. I then placed 2 layers of the bubble wrap over the top of the contents within the coolers.

After 5 days out camping, I still had about 1/2 the block of ice in my beer cooler, I did not bother draining the water as it was keeping the beer throughout the cooler cold. In the Coleman cooler, the milk jugs still had 80-90% ice. In the scheme of things, it was not as hot as it could of been. Just the same, just simple foil lined bubble wrap with a small amount of dry ice worked great. The bubble wrap kept things above from freezing from the dry ice and kept the jugs and block from melting as fast. The bubble wrap at the top much improved the coolers insulation and contributed to keeping ice.

I feel confident I can make a low end cooler keep ice for a week or two. I did not even use duck tape nor really worried about opening and closing the cooler often. With more disciplined cooler management, a couple of weeks is possible. Eventually I will get a bomber cooler, but for now, the cheaper ones will do just fine.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #80
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
To drain or not to drain ......that is the question???

Since we're on the subject of coolers & cooler management technique, here's my burning question. Is it better to drain the cold ice melt water out of the cooler during your trip or not??? I have this discussion/ fist fight with my rafting friend all the time. I'm a drainer, he's a non-drainer. He uses block ice (plastic bag removed) and then fills in with loose ice. After a few days, the "cooler soup" begins to accumulate in the bottom of the cooler and it drives me nuts.
Case in point - just returned from a Main Salmon trip on Sunday. When we stopped at Buckskin's, I reloaded with ice, and drained the ice melt water. He freaked. Said I was crazy for draining the cold water.
What's the opinion of the Buzzards on this touchy subject?
I think for my next trip I'm going to try the frozen water jugs & foil bubble wrap ideas. Just don't like my food floating in the cooler.
Thanks - Cat Girl

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote