Old 01-19-2009   #11
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
I like the looks of the Engles. I do not mind paying a little more for a cooler. I am gathering that the money comes down to the plastic construction, hinges etc..
Thanks for the tips!

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #12
bedlam and squalor, Montana
Nothing I've found compares to a Yeti in terms of cooling and pure bomberness.

They're too expensive and heavier than a dead preacher even when they're empty.

Perdido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I have another quick cooler tip, above the ones that were already mentioned.

If you haven't been able to freeze water containers beforehand, you can still make store-bought bags of cubed or blocks last pretty long by loading them in tied-off trash compactor bags (Costco) before they go into the cooler. The ice lasts longer, and keeps the water off your food.

I always keep a big roll of compactor bags in my raft kit- they're good for everything for trash & coal/ash cleanup, to extra sleeping bag protection for a leaky drybag. Plus you can use each one of them 2-3 times because they're so durable.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #14

have you guys who claim your cheap coolers work just as well as the expensive one's tried an expensive one or just think yours is as good? I have a really hard time believing from my experience that the cheap ones hold a candle. One of the key factors with the insulation is the density and pressure with which it is injected. In addition to the beefier construction the more expensive coolers have far superior insulation. Denser the better. That is why, as someone else mentioned, a Yeti or the others weigh a ton even when they are empty. It's not the plastic but the insulation just weighs that much more.

I've still been serving myself up ice cubes for my liquid refreshment after over a week out of my Yeti on desert trips with opening it multiple times a day and still have the blocks be 80%+ at the end of the trip. I've never seen another cooler be able to do that. I have no doubt the cheaper coolers work just fine with good management on anything but the longest trips but it's nice to have a nice cushion and not have to worry about it a ton.

Always make your own ice and blocks. I just get the 2.5 gal drinking water jugs and freeze the whole thing. Store bought ice has too much air in it to hold cold well. It's aerated in the process which is why it melts so fast. Get a beach towel and dip it in the river every few hours and drape it over the cooler. the evaporative effect helps a ton. Always pre-freeze your cooler. A ton of cooling energy is lost at first just getting the cooler down to temp. Get a couple blocks of dry-ice a couple days before the trip to super chill the empty cooler then leave any remainder under the blocks for an extra couple days cushion.

and don't freeze your chicken if you're going to use it before day five of your trip. it will still be frozen and take an eternity to cook. (lesson learned last year on the Yampa....)
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Osprey - check out the link I posted earlier to a cooler test with both cheap and expensive coolers. The Ultra Cool (made by Engel) did great, the Icey Tek did okay, and the Igloo Marine excelled.

Here's the intro: The Official: 2007 Cooler Showdown - 2CoolFishing

And here's the results:The Official: 2007 Cooler Showdown - Page 8 - 2CoolFishing

For both the Ultra Cool and the Igloo Marine after 7 days only about 32% of their ice had melted. The Ultra Cool was better by about .5%, but that is well within the margin of error and statistically insignificant. And the Igloo costs a lot less if you get the cheap version like they used for this test - aka Ace Hardware not NRS. The Icey Tek (aka Yeti) did worse, about 44% of it's ice melted.

Also - High density insulation isn't always better - a vacuum is ideal, and it has 0 density.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by raftus View Post

Also - High density insulation isn't always better - a vacuum is ideal, and it has 0 density.
Exactly, it is actually the air that provides the insulation, not the foam. The better the foam holds air IN PLACE and doesn't allow it to convect, the better the insulation. But, that said, denser is usually better, but performance is what matters.

Our igloo marine had ice at the take out on an august 7 day lower salmon trip, 95+ degrees, VERY poor cooler management too. No wet towel, just a cover and foil bubble wrap.

Also, I had a cheap wally-world cooler on the grand last april, also 90+ degrees. Ice lasted 10 days. It's all how you make it work. As much as I love my cast iron, fry pans and won't leave home without them, I'd rather not have excessive cooler dead weight in my boat.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #17
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

As I understand, a while back, Yeti bought out Icey Tek and now Yeti offers 2 different lines of coolers. Don't know which one was used in "the test".

Here is the Yeti link

Yeti Coolers
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #18
Gosh and if you can't trust the scientifc standards of the 2CoolFishing message board, who can you trust?

if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #19
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Igloo marine 94 qt not $55

They are well over $100, not $55 as quoted in the study. Anyone know were I could pick a new one up for under $60
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #20
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
They are well over $100, not $55 as quoted in the study. Anyone know were I could pick a new one up for under $60
Wal Mart sells Igloo Marine coolers. Not that I would recommend shopping there, but the website will probably give you the lowest price you could expect to pay for one. You won't find a 100 quart cooler for under $60 though.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote