Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-18-2004   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Regarding eyes open under water:

For me, a key in learning my roll was having my head follow my paddle blade. That turbo-charged my sweep, and kept my whole body in good position throughout the sweep motion. Whenever my roll starts to lose its spark, I make sure I'm keeping my eyes open and it helps me. Plus, it's a good way for beginners to make sure they're starting their roll from the proper set-up position - if they can see that their blade is on top of the water, at the front of their boat, flat, etc... And, anybody who gets "freaked out" by what they see whizzing by ..... Dunno, that seems like a bad trait for a kayaker. Just because you close your eyes and don't see the rocks and the swirlies, and your poorly set up roll, doesn't mean they're not a reality. I want to see what's going on with the river, with my boat, with my technique...

Regarding the glasses again -- I've worn mine for about 75 trips down the river, a fair amount of class 4, brown water, green water, low volume, huge volume. Never had em get "dirty" while I paddled, never had em come anywhere close to breaking (I make not hitting my face on rocks a priority), never come anywhere close to losing them on the river, .... I dunno. They sure work for me. Lasik would be nice, but I can't afford that....

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #12
If you can afford it do LASIK. I am such a happier mountain bum without peeling dry contacts off my eyeballs after long weekends....

mdavid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #13
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
O.K., I think Lasik is the answer.

Hey y'all!!! I went out this weekend and tried all of the suggestions (except surgery). Unfortunately, I had problems with them all. My prescription glasses don't really give me any peripheral vision. The Night and Day's were pretty cool, but still a pain. Paddling without either is a bad scene (can't see the eddy lines or rocks until I am on top of them). I think I am going to check into Lasik. Can anyone give me some references for sugeons?

Also, I don't understand why you would want to keep your eyes open under water. Usually my first concern is getting upright as soon as possible. What do you do when you see a rock? Can you avoid it? I think I would be looking directly at my skirt and not see anything anyway (with any luck). Just curious.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #14
i wear gas permiable contacts at night when i sleep that change the shape of my corneas. i take them out in the morning and see great all day without other correction. surgery is pretty safe, but if it goes wrong... email me if you want the name of my eye doc as few offer this as an option.

mccann is offline   Reply With Quote