Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-05-2005   #11
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
At the level we ran it, some of the foot bridges were covered but most were producing a river wide sieve. We portaged all the foot bridges and ran all the way down to the skate park waves past the confluence with the S. Platte. We also hiked up and hit the confluence nasty-ass runoff playpark. It was a lot of fun especially when I was doing flat spins up on cherry creek with traffic on both sides of me and people were honking their horns and helicopters were flying overhead filming the news. It was hysterical!

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #12
I'm curious....there's that mini-locke on the strip your ran....how was that? And...how low were the bridges with that water level?

telegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #13
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I'm moving down to the 303 in a few weeks. Can Cherry Creek be run at any other time besides flood stage? I've seen it in normal conditions and the water looks yucky. Is it worth contracting all the diseases or should I look elsewhere?

What is difficulty of Cherry Creek and Union? Class II?
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #14
I live next to Cherry Creek and look at it all the time. There is some appeal in running stuff that almost never runs, but Cherry Creek just isn't worth it. Note that even jonny water says he doesn't recommend it after his run. There aren't many drops and the low bridges with railings scare me. Those railings can kill a boater if you can't eddy out.

The biggest appeal to running Cherry Creek is going through the exclusive Cherry Creek Country Club and getting weird looks from people on the bike path.

But, when Cherry Creek is running, there is probably great boating at Union Chutes and the Tressle Wave below Confluence, like yesterday. It's just not worth it.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Originally Posted by paddlebizzle
What is difficulty of Cherry Creek and Union? Class II?
Union is class 3ish (probably class 2 at low water, I dunno). At 1000cfs it is 3+ I think. I ran it early this season at 1000 and it kicked my butt (I had no roll yet, so when I flipped I swam the whole dang thing and nearly lost my boat!! )
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #16
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The best part probably was the section thruough the golf course, however, down lower was the best play....the last 3/4 mile had good play but I would assume that this would only be the case at flood stage. Don't keep this run on your "to-do" list. It's not worth it, although there was this sweet lateral wave that I surfed for at least 100 feet until it ended into about a 4-foot tall standing wave/rooster tail with a hole behind it.....it was totally reminiscent of the M-wave and had v. fast surf. The foot/bike path bridges make this section not worth it. I ran it mostly out of curiosity and in search of some good play plus some good laughs. BTW you can make it under all the actual bridges....it wasn't that high.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote