Old 07-09-2011   #1
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
complacent on familiar rivers

I was on the roaring fork today. Having a good time with friends new to rivers. We were hitting the meat of everything and playing around the rock frowns. I got off line messing near a rock river left mostly under water. I hit the rock which high sided us into the hydroloc behind the rock which flipped us. I popped up under the boat got out quick and saw everyone was ok and swimming to the boat. I got on the upside down raft set my paddle down and pulled everyone onto the boat. As I was getting everyone on the boat my paddle got fulshed off. I made sure everyone was ok and we got to shore the best we could. Two of my party were mildly hypothermic I had them strip down and put them in all my flease a crew of two rafts stopped to help and they took my boat to two rivers. My crew wanted to walk down so I walked the 1.5 miles with them to keep tabs on them.

My first lesson was don't become complacent with the river. Lesson two make your crew dress to swim. Lesson three put your extra Paddle where you can get it anytime. Lessons four carry a throw bag on your person as the guide. Feel free to rip me apart and or school me as to what I did wrong here and what I did Wright. I do need to refresh my swift. Water rescue class.
Thanks again to the crews that helped out. Be safe out there

g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #2
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
My first thought is don't boat alone, always have a second boat for safety whether is NE a single kayaker or another raft.

I have to agree with you about complacency I sometimes find myself going into a run I have done hundreds of times and just going through the motions. One of these days that is going to bite me.

Thanks for the reminder not to do that.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Gerry, glad the shortbus and its occupants survived the ordeal. if you had a flip line on a boat like that, either boat mounted or waist worn, you probably could have righted it yourself pretty quickly.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #4
leadville, Colorado
I do carry a flipline just didn't want people to swim again. Was more worried about hypothermia. Thanks for the reminder to never paddle alone.
Old 07-09-2011   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
99.95 of the time, once you get on your boat, flip it back over before getting people in - it is so hard to go anywhere on an upside down boat. I know, as I've seen a lot of flips, and, have had 98 commercial flips of my own
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #6
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I think we should call this the upper colorado syndrome: 'I run this all the time"

1) dress for the water, dress to swim, rig to flip.
2) a throwbag in you boat is not too helpfull, put in on your hip.
3) swimming sucks.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #7
Buena Vista, Arizona
School you? I think you hit the nails on the head already. Its easy to get complacent, and hero syndrome is a dangerous/easy thing to fall into. I do have to support Wizz though. Got a young gun learning his rafting craft and I just had the discussion about reflipping the boat. I second the comment that reflipping is way easier to recover (perhaps some exceptions...but few). With commercial crews I'll remind them to hold on to the bow/stern of the boat so its easy for me to reflip, and then they're out of the way and can grab hold again quickly. Otherwise, good to hear you guys are safe, and thanks for the reminder to stay on your toes.
G_reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #8
leadville, Colorado
Yes got schooled. Thanks for the lessons I will remember to make sure everyone in the boat is dressed to swim, will right the boat before pulling the crew out, have another boat with me. Thanks all be safe out there.