Old 04-21-2004   #1
Comparisons of kingpin 6.3/airhead/s6f

Im 6ft 205 lbs. and size 12 feet. Can you still be in middle seat position on all these boats and have a bulkhead in the foot area?

gtm900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #2
I have been in all three boats. I am 5'10" 195# but have a 34" inseam with size 12 feet. The Airhead has lots of room but its been many months so I don't remember the details.

I was in the S6F 193 yesterday with the seat in the middle and my toes were touching the end of the bow. It was a little hard to throw the ends down and it just seemed a little weird to me.

I was comfortable in the Kingpin Icon with the seat in the middle and the bulkhead all the way forward. It seemed a little smoother when throwing around. The bulkhead could use some padding or be ripped out for long term comfort.

the ZG 54 was a bit too tight with me feet falling asleep after 15 minutes. When are they going to make a ZG 58?

kglaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #3
I’m 5’11 / 210 / 10.5 (I know Gillman, I know). I owned an Airhead last year. I had the seat in the middle and used the entire foot block that came with the boat (about 8”). I have had an Icon 6.3 for about a month, and I have put the largest (tallest) of the bulkheads in the boat w/ the seat in the middle position (the small ones are designed to sit closer to the end, so you could say that this one sits pretty far up). I have spent some time in the S6F 193; the one I used was pretty balanced, so I have to assume that the seat was close to the middle. Anyway, it had the IR inflatable bulkhead in it. The bulkhead did not have any of those foam blocks in front of it, and I was reaching for it. I think I have pretty short legs (30”-32”), so that may say something. I have no idea if that was what you were looking for, and I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “in the foot area,” but I hope it helps.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #4
fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm 5'11" 215 size 11.5 feet and I just bought a kingpin icon 6.3 and it fits fine. It actually is comfortable, plus the thing plays really well. It does need some extra padding in the foot area, but what kayak doesn't. I have the bulkhead in, but I may take it out and just replace with foam. I have short legs, so that is not an issue. Linebackers of the kayaking world unite.

sick_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #5
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Glad you like the KingPins. I just wanted to note that there are options with the bulkhead. Im 6'4 225lbs with a 36 inseam and 12 shoes. I took the bulkhead out and just used the included foam at the end for my feet. The foam is in the kit along with the multi-tool, fins, waterbottle, etc... This opens up the boat size for smaller paddlers. The footbed pad is to be glued on to the solid bulkhead for comfort and fit. Makes for solid footing and push.

Dagger Kayaks
Paddle with the Pros
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
I am also 6'4", 230, but can't get the 6.3 to work for me. I put the foam in the bulk head and moved the seat all the way back. Me legs go numb within 5 minutes, and I stern squirt everything. Hobie, you have any tips for this? How can I get my weight centered without moving the seat forward?
I love the boat though, I'm just a little too big I guess.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004   #7
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
You could be too big for it. You may want to move the thigh hooks though. Maybe the placement is putting to much preasure on your legs. Also, taking down the seat pad may make it better as it would drop your tail a bit. this would take some time. Trimming down the seat pad would take some patience as well.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote