Old 10-02-2011   #1
Steamboat Springs
Commute from Summit to Lakewood?

This might be a little off topic but...
Does anyone out there commute from Dillon/Silverthorne to Golden/Lakewood for work (3-5 days per week)? If so, is it tolerable?
I'm looking at a good job in Lakewood but having trouble ditching mountain living. Thanks!

NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #2
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It's the most horrible thing of all time. I did it for years and only went down there once or twice a week. Never again.

maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I did a 2 hour RT commute for two years. Never again. Whatever advantage you think you have by living in the mountains will be negated by road rage and lost hours away from [family / outdoor fun shit / whatever your reason for living where you do].

Bite the bullet and get a place pretty near work, and get into the mountains when you can. Lakewood / Golden is still pretty accessible. You could also look at Evergreen, or up Coal Creek, but you're still adding some commuting. Or stay in Summit and cope with lesser jobs.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I have had long commutes to work before and they are a sure fire way to ruin your life. I did 100 miles round trip for over 2 years and it was miserable, between traffic, construction,ass holes and weather I was ready to put a gun in my mouth.

I finally got a job where I could commute to work on my bike. Didn't even have to hit the road; Just head down the bike path and 6 minutes later I was at work. Best thing I have ever did for my brain and body.

Do yourself a favor and get a place right next to the building where you work and you will have plenty of free time to enjoy the mountains and be revitalized for road trips.

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #5
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
And I disagree. I didnt make the drive from summit like Maureen, but from Georgetown. Lived there for 6 years and commuted to the city the entire time. Moved to the city due to my wife going back to school and she had to be at the hospital 6 days a week. Both of us are sick of the city and are moving back in 3 weeks. I am probably a rarety, as I only work 3 days a week, so being where I love it on my 4 days off is worth the trade. Right now to go to the mountains where I can escape the people (it can be done, you just have to go further) it takes me over an hour just to get started with my hiking. From Gtown, less than 15 minutes and I can go the whole day and never see a person. Also, the frequency of really bad weather from Gtown to the city is significantly less than from the other side of the tunnel.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you can get the commute to 1 or 2 days a week then it might be OK. I have a 40 minute commute to work, but it is fine since I mostly work from home. I hike from my front door about every other day. I definitely would not do that living in the city. Plus there is a handy playnhole 1.5 miles from my house so less driving for a quick kayaking workout.
kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Living in Cars

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #8
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by possumturd View Post
Ha ha

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

« Looking to borrow Groover/Ammo Can.... | Hey Buzzards. T-Shirt Design Contest! »