Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-22-2015   #1
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1986
Coming out to Colorado at the end of June, looking for beta and people to boat with

I am planning to come out to Colorado to paddle in late June. I have heard rumors that the snow pack is not great this year but I think I am going to come out anyway because I have the opportunity to go. I would appreciate any recommendations of runs to check out. I won't be leaving for another month so obviously a lot could change with the water levels between now and then. I plan to leave on June 19 and come back after July 4 weekend. Can you make some recommendations of what I should try to hit? I would love to hit the toughest stuff that I can. Also, if you could give me any contacts that might want to boat with me, I would appreciate that too.
Here is my list of priorities. Let me know which ones you think will be doable.

High Priority
Big South
Crested Butte Quadruple Crown (Stupid Falls would be my main priority here but my stepson will love the rest of those runs too)
Bailey Canyon
Crystal Gorge and Punchbowls
Lake Creek

Wish List
Wolf Creek (big double falls)
Cinnamon Falls
Any other big waterfalls you could recommend

Please let me know what you think I should check out. I don't have to run scary Class 5 every day (in fact, my stepson would probably like it if we did several easier Class 4+ runs between the Class 5 stuff). Thanks again for any beta.

ZoneDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The snowpack did not look so good a month ago but it has been raining and snowing for the last month. I think there will be good water in late June. As for your wish list:

Big South will be running but unlikely that the gate will be open. Maybe you could go in from the top for an overnight adventure.

CB creeks will be running. I think you want a lot of water for Stupid Falls (when I say you, I mean you, because I'm not running that drop because its stupid!)

Bailey might be running, but probably not because there is so much natural water in the front range that Denver water will not need to turn on the tunnel.

Vallecito is a pretty good bet. It might be a little low or high, but likely doable. If you are in the neighborhood and looking for a more committing canyon than Vallecito, check out Bakers if its not too high. If the Animas is high, you can do a Class IV day on the Upper A and maybe paddle Lime creek.

I would think Crystal Gorge will be too high, but NF Crystal might be doable in conjunction with the punchbowls.

Lake creek will likely be at some runnable level

I would put Gore on the list too. It could be high (Class V) or if it is lower it would be more Class IVish

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's hard to tell what will be in when you come. The one missing from your list that any east coaster should get is gore canyon, that will definitely be in.

On a normal year you are looking at the right window for the quad crown, and may get lucky this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #4
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Run-off hasnt even hit us in Vail valley yet. Eagle river is high and clear. Not on your list but just a heads up about stuff around this area.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #5
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Bobby you picked a good year to come visit. Check out the graph and see what this past 30 days has done to our snow pack. With more coming.

Colorado SNOTEL Watershed Time Series Snowpack Graphs | NRCS
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I like this one...

Have you also heard rumors that CA has a huge snowpack? Because right now that's about as true as saying we have a dismal one. At least for the eastern parts
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #7
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post

Have you also heard rumors that CA has a huge snowpack? Because right now that's about as true as saying we have a dismal one. At least for the eastern parts
WOW, that is an eye opener for Northwestern US. Crazy!

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote