Old 06-20-2012   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Colorado's Big T (flows)

The pump to Carter Lake is back on! This will help even out the reservoir water level a little bit. The reservoir is currently at an elevation of about 5727--about 32 vertical feet from the top, or 70% full. You can track our reservoir water level on-line.

Also, releases to the Big Thompson River from Olympus Dam on Lake Estes are scheduled to scale back late tonight, around midnight. Currently, they are around 467 cfs. By tomorrow morning, June 21, flows in the Big T will be around 330 cfs.

Please let me know if you have any related questions. I'll be in the office all day tomorrow.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
thank you, thank you, thank you, that is perfect for the main section!!!!

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #3
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
So Paul, Bob and I are running it tomorrow below the Gnar to the Park. Who wants to join for a morning run?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #4
laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm up for a run

Tomorrow morning sounds good to me. Probably have to head back by 3:30 Give me a time and place to meet up. Traveling from Laramie.

scbrandebura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #5
I don't know that I would call 330 perfect for the main section, but it is a good level for the gnar. I'm looking to head up after work again tomorrow. If anyone would like to run the gnar section I think that would be my preference, but if people are going I would run the lower stuff again.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #6
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Nathan, Bob's never ran the main section so I told him it is a good first time flow. Not too pushy or shallow.
Old 06-22-2012   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Huh? There used to be just the Idywilde Dam to lower dam run in the CRC books.Then the gnarl came into the main section is the part in between?...I am confused:...or is the main that plus the old book run?..wasn't that where Bob had some trouble,so he has run it before? ....the old books recommended. 400 for what that is worth...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #8
The minimums are what most people call minimum (I've found other people boating it) minimums are lower as you may have heard

The upper section starts in Estes and goes to the handicap take out. It is III with 3 IVs. Min = 350 cfs

The Gnar as you know is only 600 yds. Min = 200 cfs

The main section puts in at the end of the gnar and takes out at Drake. It is IV with a IV+. Min = 220 cfs

The Drake section puts in across from the mail store and goes to the Idywild dam. It is II with 2 IV-s or you can run the dam but not over 350ish. Min = 180 cfs

The lower section puts in below the dam and takes out at the park or you can go down to the cherry store dam. It is IV and at higher water could be IV+ due to consequences.

Most people run the main section to the park as one long run.