Old 05-20-2004   #1
Colorado Springs Lessons?

I'm new to this sport and i'm looking to take some lessons in the Colorado Springs area. Really I need to learn how to paddle (sound stupid) and roll. Just the basics really - something I can do in a pool I guess. Anyone know who I should contact? Thanks.

LongStickMiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #2
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado

Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center in Howard on the Arkansas River and check with the Pikes Peak Whitewater Club.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #3
Check out the Edge ski and paddle in Pueblo. I've heard he's real reasonable on his rates and a good teacher.
mad russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #4
Socratic Philosopher
The local kayaking club in Colorado Springs is Pikes Peak Whitewater Club. We are very open to helping people get introduced to the sport. We have just completed our scheduled pool sessions, and organized beginner trips for the spring. Don't be discougraged though, we have a whole crop of new boaters this year that are eager to boat! We are an active club that boats frequently, and full of fun people who love the river!

Go to the website and join, it is very inexpensive - with lots of benefits. See our website for details:

As for lessons, Bob Walker at The Edge is probably the closest to Colorado Springs, and he is starting some beginner classes NOW. He's a great guy. Two pool sessions and a river run. Good way to get started. He can set you up with gear as well. Contact below:

The Edge: Ski, Paddle and Pack
107 N. Union Avenue (on the river walk)
Pueblo, Colorado 81003

Also, a little further away, but a great place to boat:

Colorado Kayak Supply
22495 US Hwy.
285 South
P.O. Box 1
Nathrop, CO 81236
719-395-8653, 1-888-CO KAYAK

Good luck, and we'll see you on the river.
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #5
pnw, Washington
Bob at the edge used to teach a beginner class not sure if he still does. RMOC is where i took my beginner class and my Swift Water Rescue course. Try both of those they are both good.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote