Old 02-24-2013   #11
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The rain in Seattle sucks,as does the traffic at rush hours. But it's still way better than the Springs. I remember hearing a story about the record amount of homicides in CS last year,and a scary amount of those were children. The springs is a whacked out mix of conservatards,bible thumpers,homophobes,gangs,army meatheads. I had a buddy that moved to CO from Iowa,he decided to move to the springs(CS sounds like heaven to most Midwest people I've noticed) of all places. Within a year he sold his house and made the move to Ft Collins. He got sick of the craziness and "being sized up" every night that he went out,by all the soldiers looking for a fight. There are definitely worst places to live,but I would never choose to live in the Springs.

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Yah just driving thru town is enough for me. That place looks like Mexico. Dirty water running under the overpass.. Yeah I'd choose Fort Collins or Durango, banks, Portland, Cali, Asheville, anyday.. As for the girl I'd think long and hard about it if she gonna put you somewhere there no water hombre.. Sharing is caring and sometimes you both have to make sacrifices.. Sometimes at the same time sometimes at different times. If she was a sugar momma and you got to go rally than it doesn't really matter you are in the springs if she is happy but.. If you are doin the 9 to 5 5 days a week. I wouldn't do it boss. Big city loving sucks in that regard. Here in bozeman I can get a run up hyalite and back the house within a hour if its running. Having a close river is key

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #13
pnw, Washington
Wow, a lot of springs bashers here. Yes, we have our problems but you dont have to go to New Life or join FOTF when you come here. Yes they give us a bad reputation but you will find some good people here none the less. It will be a shock to the system to make the move but you can find like minded folks anywhere you go. There is tons of great mtn biking in town and in the area to make our lack of water more tolerable. We also have the pueblo whitewater park that is less than an hour away if you play boat. Check out Home
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #14
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Been here for 15 years. Lived in Montana, Hawaii, and Arizona prior...and I gotta say I love Colorado Springs. Pretty much little to nothing negative to say about it.

Boating is great here, if you ask me, though nothing like you'll find in the PNW. Waterton and Bailey are an hour away and are uber-fun. Fewer strainers for sure.
There are seasons here so boating year around isn't really an option though you can pretty much always find water and a decent run. LOTS of manmade whitewater parks.

Don't listen to the's great here. 300+ days of sunshine per year and snow seldom lasts more than a couple days. The restaurants do blow (if I had to say something negative), but there are some GREAT ones (Mollica's, Drifters, China Restaurant, Jun).

I boat, ride dirt bike (single-track trails), and off-road (rock crawling), and CS is paradise.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #15
Everyone needs a vacation
Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998

If you cherry pick through these responses you'll get close to what it's actually like to live in CS. I was there thirteen years enjoying paddling, mountain biking, climbing, skiing, boarding, elk hunting, and much more. We moved there for my wife's job and don't regret it at all. I have a lot of great friends that still live there and enjoy it. They get outside and play based on the weather conditions mother nature is currently providing. Funny, none of them are from FOTF or any mega church, not that I care. All that said, if paddling is a TOP priority for you and you don't participate in other outdoor sports, CS probably isn't the place for you. Best advice is from GH, Funkins, and sarahkonamojo, if you're serious, go visit. (I recently moved to Cali... for my next adventure)

BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote