Old 05-06-2012   #1
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Colorado Source to Sea Expedition

Hey Buzzards! This summer and fall, I will paddle the Colorado from its source above Grand Lake all the way to the sea with 3 other boaters. Our goal is to create an interactive map that will connect communities with the issues of the Colorado River Basin. We will meet with local businesses, law makers, and other stakeholders to create high quality content that highlights the problems facing the Colorado.

I have paddled with many of you and would love to have your support on this project! You can support us by visiting our website at Down the Colorado and by liking and sharing our Facebook page: Down the Colorado Expedition | Facebook.

More importantly, I would love it if all of you could recommend different river stakeholders who might be good for us to get in contact with as we create content. PM me or post here. I think that the low water this year highlights what a valuable resource the Colorado River is in the Southwest US. I hope that we can all get involved in creating a healthy future for the river.

We are still finishing up our plan for the expedition and will be underway June 15th!

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Ummm, awesome!

COyak88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
So you guys don't have a Grand Canyon permit? What's the plan for those 200+ miles? You might be able to find an outfitter that would let you tag along for a nominal fee...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #4
Hood River, Oregon
Unfortunately, we do not currently have a Grand Permit. We are exploring several options, including talking to the BLM (unlikely to help) and an outfitter that was suggested to us. Do you have any suggestions for outfitters who might have 4 spaces that they could donate to us or pro-rate? Our expedition is through a nonprofit so donations like that could potentially be tax deductible. We would have to talk specifically with the outfitter to determine that.

The Grand is an important part of the whole picture of the river. We just have reasons that we have to start in June and obviously a permit in august is difficult to come by. Another option we talked about would be to go around the grand, do the lower river, and return to the grand in winter when permits are easy. This would be less than ideal so let me know if you have other suggestions!
Old 05-07-2012   #5
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hi David,

My name is Hannah Schechter and I manage the BLM portion of the Upper Colorado from near Byers Canyon to State Bridge. I would love to talk with you about your trip. I have been doing a lot of educational presentations to local school kids about the Colorado River. Please contact me at or call 970-724-3000.
Hannah Schechter
Outdoor Recreation Planner
USDI BLM, Kremmling Field Office
Hannah_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #6
cedar city, Utah
Sounds like an interesting project. It would be helpful to understand more about its intentions.

How is the "interactive map" proposed to be different than the various resources that already exist for the various stakeholders along the Colorado?

What is your principle audience? Do you have a plan to reach a wide audience?

How do you propose this resource will aid in fostering a healthy future for the river?
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #7
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Bill Kees down in Telluride did the entire Green River (from Green River Lakes above Pinedale WY) to Colorado River to Sea of Cortez maybe 8 years ago. You ought to talk to him.
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #8
Hood River, Oregon
Slim- Thanks for the tip! Do you know how to get in contact with him?

Two of our expedition members actually just paddled the source of the Green to the sea last year. They have a trailer online for their movie that will be available online for free soon. You can check it out here (I can't figure out how to embed it): Videos Down the Colorado

restrac 200- Thanks for your questions! The current website is an informational site while we build up the site that will house the map. The map will be a media rich tool that uses different layering that will allow community members to see how far reaching environmental issues are and how they are affected by, say, water users in LA or even in Arkansas. Using social media, we hope to reach a wide audience and connect users throughout the entire basin to the issues upstream, downstream, and out of stream.

Thanks for all of the help so far, keep it coming!
Old 05-07-2012   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Awesome project David. Good luck with it.

The only thought that I have on grand permits is to get an "internet team member" to keep tabs on boaters looking to fill permit spots while you are on the river. Seems like there are always folks canceling at the last minute, but you won't be able to check the web if you are on the river. You also might want to try posting on some of the grand canyon boater lists and or sites. I'm not sure what they are, but I know they exist.

Have a great trip!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #10
Hood River, Oregon
Thanks for the tips Ian! See you at Bailey soon?