Old 04-30-2006   #1
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Colorado IIIs

Without a experienced crew to point me in the right direction, and the fact that no one talks about good IIIs, I am hoping that you guys can help a brother out. Last year was my first year and we paddled front range play parks, Lower Blue, Upper Colorado, Shoshone, Waterton in October and I am just hoping to get some beta on what other classic / fun IIIish stuff is out there. I suppose I could consult a guide book, but....

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Check out some of the Eagle runs after they come up a little more. They are often overlooked because of a semi-short season, but they are lots of fun.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
Parkdale, Browns. Fractions, Eagle below Dowds, Upper Blue, Foxton, Bridges. Lower Mishiwaka ther that should help your summer out. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #4
the avalanch to BRB on the crystal is also great, there's a fun run on the north st. vrain by lyons that's a bit technical (as class IIIs go) but good, have a good summer!
ttuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
that's what I am looking for thanks guys... ur quick too
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
if you decide to come up to run the poudre this summer, i will be happy to show you down bridges and/or lower mish. the section in between those two is mostly 3 with the exception of two rapids. look me up if you're up here, and we'll do a run or two together.

parttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
Bike and ski shop owner / Bum
Browns is really a great run for a class 3 boater, run it several times and play as much as possible. I took the worst swim of my life on Fractions - class 4 wave train that day!
bauerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #8
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Another thing to do is to join one of the kayaking clubs. Colorado Whitewater Association (CWWA) is mostly in Denver and can introduce you to a lot of people. I believe there's also a yahoo group called Colorado Kayakers.

Parkdale on the Arkansas is a great run to cut your Class III teeth on. It's a few minutes west of Canon City. Browns is great too.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #9
Like they all said ,especially SJ, don't forget Boulder Crk. . The Rustics on CLP is good 3 maybe 4- if it's crankin'.When you are ready to step up 1/2 a notch lwr. Gore Crk.{upr is 3 ],Dumont ,and Lwr. Clear Crk at low/med flows are 4- ish.Royal Gorge as long as it's not cranking is 3-4
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
Not sure where you asre or where you can get to.... but.... In the Gunnison area:

Taylor is always fun (III) kind of like a smaller Numbers or a big creek. Keep your eyes open lots of moves to be made.

Lake fork of the Gunnison around the end of may is one of my favorites (III + one IV). All scoutable from the road and rattlesnake may be scary but is portageable...great for a couple of laps.

Gunnison Gorge. (mostly class 1 but a few great glass III) Its a long shuttle and hike to the put-in but deffinately worth it and doable in a day. (test out your self support skills and spend three in there.) Lots of play potential, beautiful vistas and phenominal fishing....its really great.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote