Old 05-31-2006   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm with Marko, there is still more on the way. The ark, roaring fork, clear creek all had double peaks last year. One was around memorial day and the other later on (checked the usgs data a couple weeks ago). The cool down prevented one big peak from blowing our entire wad early, so its probably a good thing. A few of the rivers have already started to turn a bit upward or at least hold from a flow standpoint. Last year, the second peak was about the same amount as the first one, and we might expect that this year too.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #12
Peak is still to come for the Poudre. Cameron Pass has plenty of snow and some hot days ahead.
wanna bet?

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #13
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
I love the NPR jargin about 4 wheeling in Moab. That's just flat out stupid to blame people in Jeeps for Utah dust storms.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #14
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Does it really matter? You can't control it anyway. Just get out there and enjoy what's left.

And like Force said, freestyle walking is the new sport. I've seen it. It's fun to watch. Just gotta watch those landings......

the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #15
Leadvillian, Colorado
JJ I'll take that bet.

The highest water we've seen has been barely over 4. If it gets over 4 again you owe me a twelver. If not I'll buy you one.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #16
Indian Hills, Colorado
Clearly this means we need more reservoirs.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #17
Think/hope Marko's right
Hurricane season starts today.Pat Robertson says it's gonna be a bad one and he's always right.May have to take a road trip to Texas ,boofin off dead Texans is great fun! Things could get real exciting in Central America ,hopefully not too bad,if the storm tract misses just a little bit then more water without the devastation,schweeet.

We may get some storms bringing up lower elevation front range stuff soon eg urban So. Platte crankin',I can smell it in the air down at Union.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It appears that at least a lot of the Colorado rivers peaked about 4 or 5 days ago.
It what??? It looks as if a second peak "for some drainages" is on the way!!! Surely with the scorching temps predicted for the week a second peak is bound to happen.

This graph tells the story well: This is Clear creek of the Ark. Notice the downward slide that occured due to the cold weather and snow, and then notice its revival due to the 80 degree days.

The funny thing about this post is that there was an almost identical one that was posted last year when the same thing happened. Maybe some of you "naysayer" CO locals need to start taking ginkobloba or something like that...

Just my "I told you so" 2 cents. Sorry...I am usually a humble man, but I just couldn't leave this one alone.

"I am a person of average intelligence. But, it appears that I am able to be a genius when I remember my past experiences and then use them to help my decisions in the present moment."
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #19
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
im glad somebody said it. its just like last year. no huge peak, just a bunch of little peaks through the whole runoff

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote