View Poll Results: Who wants to see creekin in the Colorado Cup next year?
yes 26 96.30%
no 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2005   #1
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Colorado Cup Freestyle Event Schedule 2005

The schedule for the 2005 Colorado Cup is as follows:

Teva Mtn Games at Vail...6/1-6/5
Clear Creek Whitewater Fest in Golden...6/4
Yampa River Festival...6/10-6/12
Lyons Whitewater Fest...6/12
FIBArk Whitewater Fest...6/16-6/19
Colorado Adventure Sports Fest in Gunnison...6/25-6/26

The Colorado Cup is a statewide freestyle point series developed in 2004 that encourages competitiors to travel the state, accumulating points at each event. The organizers of the cup are representatives of each event, and the only sponsors of the cup are the events themselves. We use interns from Western State in Gunnison to market/implement the cup. If you would like to volunteer or have questions or comments, let me know. Thanks to all that have helped to keep the cup growing and getting better...and I know that many of us want to see creekin as part of the cup in the future. We will be holding our annual cup conference this fall/winter so stay tuned to mountainbuzz for beta on that (also will have info on the conference). Thanks,

Bryan Owen (colorado cup volunteer/organizer)

bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #2
I was never able to find final results of the cup last year. I went to the site a bunch and never found it. Do you have them and where will they be posted this year?

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #3

The colorado cup results will be posted on as well as mountainbuzz. If you need results from last year email Mo at:
Old 05-04-2005   #4
If anybody needs cup posters and promo stuff send me an email I can get them to you in the mail. Basically paddle shops, park bulletin boards, and bars/restaurants are best.
Old 05-09-2005   #5
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo

.....thanks bumpkin....All of this will be going on in G-town, G-spot, Gunny, Gunrack, Gun-Yun-Sun....$5,000 Cash and Prizes....Freestyle Kayak...12 hour Adventure Race....Bike Trials...BIG WHEEL RACES!!(remember crash-up derbies on those things?)....Climbing Comp.....Foamy Boat Race.....Fly Fishing Comp...Community AND Down River Raft Race....Signal Peak Trail Run....Captain Black Paddle Cross(you'd better start eating your wheaties now...maybe start carrying your boat around for, at least, an hour a day...oh yeh, maybe practice your ivy-dodging skills on an imaginary enemy).....Rock Star Costume Party with music from HAIRFORCE ONE, EDDY BACON AND SHAGNASTY'S(do they kayak?).....june 25 and 26 2005 menu EXTRAS include OBJ, EAST and SLATE RIVERS, DAISY, N.F. SLATE, MONTROSE LOWERS(black canyon), TAYLOR RIVER and the LAKEFORK.....git sum!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #6
ski/kayak bum
will the quad and the lake fork still be running in late june? (trying to plan my trip)

I ran the east early last year and the lake fork a bunch early last season but i remember it being before the whitewater festival. how late do commercials run the lake fork?

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #7
Rodeo Scoring Standards for the events?

Last year we heard some discontent on how we scored the rodeo. This year Eugene Buchanan (head editor of Kayak Magazine, and Paddler Magazine) will be lending his expertise (as well as the associate editor Joe Carberry) for scoring. If there are any requirements or formats you want us to follow, by all means send it to us before the event.

We would love to hear if anyone knows of a computer program designed on excel or another program that would make tabulation a cynch. We were systematic last year but my friends that judged and calculated scores said it was a bitch with a calculator.

We like the go big format and rewarding people for trying moves that may result in a flush. That keeps it exciting, in conjunction with our heckling announcers (Dave Chicante and Chunder Boy).

Any ideas?

Old 05-11-2005   #8
I won't be at any of the events (don't live in CO anymore), but can help you out with a scoring spreadsheet that you could use from a laptop at your events. I understand how helpful this can be... I participated in a freestyle/creeking event a few years ago where scoring was done incorrectly and it ended up changing the final standings. What happened is that they planned to weight freestyle/creeking events 70%/30%. But then they didn't know how to combine a rodeo-result (scored, in points) and a creek result (timed, in seconds) and maintain the 70-30 weighting. So they ranked the creek results and then weighted them (ranking essentially changes the score of each competitor relative to other competitors - how much it changes depends on the raw scores and how many competitors). Anyways, given the original scores and the number of competitors in this case, with a few calculations, the result of ranking was that the events were weighted 94%-6%. They may as well not have held the creek event because it essentially was not counted. (Not a huge problem in the grand scheme of life, but they had intended on counting the creek race).

Anyways, I ended up putting together a spreadsheet for them for the following year to fix this, but then they never had another event!

So, if you're interested, I could probably help you out with a spreadsheet to suit your needs. Email me if interested:

mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #9
Lake Fork running durring CO Cup finals in Gunnison

On decent water years the commercial outfitters run the Lake Fork till July 5th. This will be an above average year. Any thing above 600 cfs is good for rafting in, Kayaking is to taste but I enjoy 700+.

I think you could saftly assume that it will be running at the time of the CO Cup Finals in Gunnison.

The CB Creeks? I don't know. They are Day to Day.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #10
I hear you potato, and I hope to think that things will be running in CB with the sick-o snowpack up there. Also, anybody looking to help out with events, especially Gunnison should send me an email: Thanks, Nick for volunteering, Im assuming you will be wanting to help in Gunny, and we could definately use your expertise. I'll get ahold of you soon. Thanks for everybody helping with the cup and all the events this summer, it should be really fun this year with some water.