Old 05-14-2009   #1
Sewanee, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2007
Colorado Creeking - where to start.

Hey all -

I'm stopping for week or so starting next week in CO on my way farther north for the summer. Looking to find some kids and creek some class IV... probably starting in Glennwood Springs. Where should I start out? Good places to camp near water?

Any suggestions appreciated!

@llie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #2
Glenwoods a good place to start. Surf the wave go up and run Castle Crek into SLaughterhouse section on the Roaring Fork by Aspen quality Class IV. Then you have Gnarrows on the Crystal IV-, Meatgrinder on the Crystal V, Barrel on the Colorado V, then drive to Vail and you have das chute IV, Gilman V, Gore Creek III-IV. All of those are within an hour of Glenwood and are all IV or lower end V's. Considering your name is Allie, you can probably find some willing dirtbags to show you around.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #3
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Not sure how North your headed. I am up in Winter Park and there are tons of things out our back door. Jason
Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A friend and I are going to be in Glenwood area next Mon-Tues, and were hoping to surf the wave and then pick off a few of the runs the previous poster was talking about. The more the merrier, send me a message if you need more details.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #5
Glenwood Guide

Allie- i am an old TN girl living in Glenwood and would be glad to show you down Castle creek-slaughterhouse. Gimme a calll-423-202-5842-natalie
nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #6
The next zone, .
I would also look into headin over to Buena Vista (2 hr drive from g-wood) and hit up some of paddlefest..

There will be plenty-o-boaters paddlin every section of the Ark and creeks around here. Parties, bands, and beer at night.... Plenty of camping with in 10 min of town..

Just another option.

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote