Old 10-06-2011   #1
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Cold weather on a Hanging PVC boat?

I am planning on Hanging my new PVC boat in my garage from the D rings. This is my first experience with a PVC boat and I'm wondering if cold weather + tension on D rings = Bad? It is a 12' with an NRS Bighorn I on it. I was planning on also having the paddles (5), oars and a few other assorted gadgets in the boat as it hangs.

Should I just build a cradle for it?

laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #2
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I hang my boat, it is not PVC, but I get straps all the way around it in about 4 places rather than attaching to frame or D rings. Seems to work fine, been doing it for years. I sometimes put the IK in the raft too

ahogenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
You can build a real simple cradle using four eye bolts and a couple lengths of PVC pipe that are just longer than your raft is wide. Run the rope through the PVC pipe and the eye bolts, then lay the PVC pipe under the raft. As you raise the raft, you wont get any friction on the boat, and it will disburse the weight evenly and not stress the D-rings.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #4
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Awesome idea! Hadn't thought of using PVC. We're in the process of reconfiguring our garage to make room for the 2 kayaks and 14 ft raft....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #5
Paonia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
I have stored my Aire 156d hanging in my garage for ten years. I use 3 NRS 1 1/2 " straps from frame underneath boat to opposite frame. Then I attatch a haul system to each fo the four corners of the frame and lock it with a petzl mini traxion after asending the boat to desired location. The boat hasn't shown any stress on the d-rings and looks great since it is always inflated. Marc
synergyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #6
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Several good ideas. I'll have to see which will work best in the garage. The frame is being stored in a different spot, so that idea is out, but I bet cam straps through D rings all the way around the boat would work as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote