Old 05-07-2009   #1
Cumming, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2004
CO trip beta

So i am going to CO from about may 30th through june 27th, looking for whats the best way to kayak colorado, boating mostly class V stuff. i am going to boat about everyday and will move on to the next location after finishing the runs listed in the previous location. make sense? here is the plan i have tentativly come up with in my mind:

in order:

1st durango: hit upper animas, lime creek (2nd or 3rd gorge?), vallecito, los pinos, south mineral.
2nd black canyon of the gunnison, escalante
3rd crested butte: obj, daisy, upper east, slate.
4th buena vista: pine creek, clear creek, lake creek, numbers.
5th? then possibly up to ft collins for big south, if time allows. is this worth all the extra driving to get up there? should it be a priority?

does this sound like a good plan for those who have been to CO before?
will we be hitting stuff when its running prime?
any other must do CO runs, or runs you would leave out?
are these listed managable for guys who run the green, west prong, lower cully, lrc, dukes, johnnies, etc.
is finding shuttle/people to paddle with going to be relativly easy?
any other beta appreciated!!!

sorry i know this is all kind of specific and sounds like i dont know what im doing, but i just want to get the most out of this trip!

clucas91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #2
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Pine creek and # are lame, The big S should be a priority if the gate is open, and easily over those runs. Plus Joe wright and Spencer heights are sweet to, add that with the gnarrows and it some decent boating.

Take Cascade creek (3rd lime) through the upper A and into rockwood.

I am guessing escalante is not going to be running by the time you get out here.

I am thinking that you will have plenty of time to hit all of that, maybe look at starting around the steamboat area as well.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #3
Yeah depending on levels you should definitely try to get Big South and the the other Poudre V's if you can. If you are in the area and flows and time are looking good, stop by the denver metro area for a few too: SSV, NSV, Big T, South Boulder Creek/USB, Bailey (a classic), Clear Creek. But you are right on as far as priorities. Get Durango, CB, and Ark Valley done before anything else. If I were you, from Crested Butte or Buena Vista, drive over to Aspen area and hit Roaring Fork and Crystal runs too.
alacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You got it nailed pretty close. Your trip timing is about perfect. June is the best time for water and options.

Durango is a good place to go. Upper A and lime should be cranking. Vallecito might be to high. Do your homework on Los Pinos, sounds like lots of hiking, committing overnighter, lots of wood.

Escalante likely done by the time you get here. Black canyon is dam release, there will be flow, maybe high.

Crested butte will be nice. Lots of boaters hanging out at OBJ campground to hook up with. The place was 1/2 full of southeastern boaters last season when I was up there.

Clear creek and lake creek sound are good. Great camping along clear creek of the ark. If you are looking for class V you will likely be underwhelmed by pine creek and numbers. If you want to take a slower day and do some down river playboating these could still be good for you. You can easily take a look at numbers driving through to clear creek of the ark to make the choice.

Big south would definitely be worth the driving if the gate is open, but it usually opens July 4th, so I wouldn't count on it. Keep an eye on the buzz for updates.

In general all the locations you listed should be flowing good. Shuttle and boating partners in popular places like CB / durango / Ark valley should be no problem. Post on the buzz trip planner to hook up with other boaters when you get here.

Have a great trip!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #5
The next zone, .
You have a good plan... There is one change I would make...

It would be best to hit up the durango and butte stuff for your first 2 weeks. Give up on the los pinos it is a long hike and there is better whitewater in the area.

Then I would be in the Ark valley for the 3rd weekend of June. Fibark weekend - there will be good times to be had (unless you are related to demshitz) and people boatin every where. You will be able to find people doin everything from Lake creek to Browns.

Unless the big south gate is open and trust me you will know when the gate opens here on the buzz as every ranger will be postin pics of their mug in double trouble... So unless the bs gate is open dont waste your time goin to the pouder - head from Fibark over to to the Aspen/Glenwood/Marble area and hit up some crystal gorge laps, yule, and the rest of the stuff over there.. Way better option than the Ft collins area for late june....
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #6
Iva, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2002
What about the source putin for Big South?? Were goin May 27-June 16ish and I want paddle Big South again but not lookin so good?? I think our plan is Vail, Butte, Marble, Boulder, either Fort or Vista area...advice?

JayB85 is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado, creeking