Old 03-07-2013   #1
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
CO swift water classes?

Just wondering if there are and Swift water courses coming up in the Vail, CO area? I don't mind doing some driving if not. Any company you all recommend?

Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #2
Elsah, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2009
its a little ways down the road, but there are generally swift water classes offered through paddlefest in Buena Vista, at end of May.

Nathan BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #3
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I remember seeing swift water rescue class being offered through CMC in glenwood/carbondale. I didn't do it cuz it was two days in the middle of the week or something weird like that but if i remember correctly it was a great price through the college and a legit class. I'll be looking for it when their class schedule comes out sometime in april probably
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #4
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Colorado Whitewater is offering classes on the front range this year at a discounted rate. You need to be a member but even figuring the cost in for being a member the class is still cheaper than retail and being a member of CW who does advocacy and conservation is a good thing! For more details follow the link: Colorado Whitewater - Safety
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #5
Winter Park/Canon City, Colorado
Dvorak's typically offers a swiftwater course in April and again in May (via Rescue 3?). On river stuff is taught in the Numbers. Good course. Say what you will about Bill D., the man knows his stuff.
freeheeltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #6
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood Springs Campus, will have a Swiftwater Rescue class May 10-12. It will be taught to ACA Level 4 WW Rescue curriculum, w/ACA certed instructors, who are also class V guides.
Cost is 1 credit hour tuition ($56 in-district) and a $76.50 course charge for a book, printing costs, transportation from the center, and Forest Service & BLM access charge (permit). Class will take place near the Shoshone launch and above Dotsero. The full schedule for summer classes will be out in early April and you can enroll in the class from any CMC center. I took the class last year w/the same instructors and it was excellent. A bit different focus than a Rescue III Level I class I took years ago, but very useful stuff (river swims, z-drag, stream crossings, rescue swims, entrapment, going over logs). If you have more questions, call 970-947-8246.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I took the CMC class last year and thought that the instructors did a great job and the course material was all spot on. I would recomend working on your knots though before whichever class you decide on. Good luck.

tbirk is offline   Reply With Quote