Old 10-19-2005   #21
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i just like to see new shit, not the same old falls and rapids year after year.....ive got a list of creeks i want to hike this offseason, if and when i go, ill let you know. im always down for a good hike.

im still convinced theres runnable CA-style drops in the granite around pikes peak...if seven falls does it and it's just a tiny drainage, then something should be there. im going to try and do some scouting before the year is out there if i can

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #22
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Cool..I'm down. I got a GPS if it helps. Not a whiz at using it yet.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #23
Yeti- I was the one that posted asking about west beaver creek a while back. Attached is the paddler article that talks about the guys that first attempted it. It sounds crazy steep, but would be a good hike none the less. I also attached a hiking description with some pictures of the waterfalls on Browns Creek. Don't know if you have checked this one out, but it looks like it might go. I kept meaning to hike up there this year to check it out, but never had a chance.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #24
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
we( jeremy,pizzuti,john placek,dave eckardt and myself)ran the upper florida from west virginia gulch down to the bridge at about a 100 cfs(could have used a little more water) in 97. non stop 250-300 fpm with one gorge with big drops(one 40 ft)we walked the was getting kinda late and getting out before the big drop looked dicey,a little more time would have been better .beautiful place.i was in there last summer checking out the gorge and had a close encounter with a really big cat(170+lbs at 35 feet)i'm really glad he chose to take off.if you hike your boats into lower park,the creek coming out of missouri gulch is worth checking out.i think the upper section above west virginia is a portage fest(sections dropping at approx. 900 fpm).i love hiking around in the mtns and this is one of the hardest places i've tried to hike into and around in.once your in,your in and if you have problems,getting out is gonna be a mutha.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #25
God Amongst Men
d.e.- thanks man, that sounds like a blast.....were the gorges valliceto/bottom box style? or just deep deep canyons? and do you guys have any pics of that?

thats some crazy shit about the beaver creek trip....nuts
Old 10-22-2005   #26
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts

there are two (sections) deep creeks out this way near glenwood. one (lower) flows south of sweetwater into the colorado upstream of dotsero. the lower portions of this creek are class III. the other (upper) is accessed from the flat tops. this is the steeper of the two and looks awesome. we did some fly over video of it and several others scouting for new options. it is (was) really really congested with wood, but looks like there are some fun slides and manky drops. there are also a few other options in the entire area that look good to go (little teaser for your mapping). anybody know a helicopter pilot that owns a chopper and wants to "loan" it out for a few days this spring????!!

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #27
I scouted the Upper Rio Grande above the rez last weekend. Actually it is runnable now. There are definately some high quality drops (class 4/5) in there and I only scouted a small section approx. 2-3 miles. Not sure as it'll ever be classic as it is ridiculuosly remote, not close to other qaulity runs, and not long enough to make it worth while for most folks . . .unless there is more quality above the part that is flat for a mile or two, which I didn't get too as I was limping around on one good leg.

But if your in the area holler I'll join you.

I definately plan on hitting next year, but I'd be shocked if it hasn't been run before. Too obvious and more or less roadside.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #28
God Amongst Men
yeah, i had seen pictures of that section, so i figured it had to be runnable. it was probably running due to all of the recent snow in the for other runs in the area, theres a large chunk of land there with very few people in it. the drainage basin of the Rio Grande above the rez is quite huge, and theres a number of creeks up top that i think are worth checking out.

Pole Creek should definetly have enough water to run, whether or not there are any quality drops on it however, i do not know.

Bear Creek from Kite Lake and Beartown down looks good both gradient and geology wise, again though, havent been there.

Trail Creek looks small, but it looks like after the confluence of E and W it has a small section of higher gradient.

and Ute Creek is the same, looks smaller in volume, but still possible.

I will definetly be scouting these hopefully this season, but if not, we should get a group together and go on a first descent madness mission next spring. Like you say, its in the middle of nowhere, but that also means the chances of them being run are low.

Also, randomly: has anyone seen La Sal Creek from CO 90 to the Dolores River at high water? my dad used to live there 20 years ago and said it got quite raging. the canyon from the highway to the river looks steep but doable. is this another western co/eastern ut style creek? (ie: escalante, san mig, horsefly) and does it ever get enough flow to run?
Old 10-27-2005   #29
Yeti- Here is a picture and a short story of fishing on Ute Creek I found on the web a while back while researching fishing up there. If that picture is really Ute Creek it looks like it would get pretty big. It sounds like the picture was taken in August. Looks difficult to get into, but like it would be a good one to check out.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #30
God Amongst Men
fucking sweet!

"reading the words box canyon in the description of the stream"

i knew there had to be something like that there....i bet the other creeks in that area (bear, pole, maybe lost trail) have features like that too, its all similar geology.

I also checked out soap creek above blue mesa rez today.....doable. lots of potential is all i have to say.