Old 02-10-2011   #41
Donkey Town, Colorado
TU in some ways does help with opening more water to the public, ( correct me if im wrong but i have heard they are trying to open up land to the public just below pump house.?) but they also seem to love keeping water private, and definitely have hidden agendas. I'm a fly fishing guide and would never support this org! Does the money actually go to supporting our rivers? Doubt it, from what my girlfriend says who works for a non profit cancer company, the money from those cute pink breast cancer plates doesn't actually get donated to help find the cure. Down with TU they are all a bunch of rich old farts who want more money for private water. And if they are trying to control boat #s on the ark that is pathetic, fish love hiding under boats, as a guide I would say that traffic has little to no effect on quantity of fish caught, get up earlier if you want your favorite "hole"

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #42
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
That's kinda ironic, because that stretch is used more heavily by float-fishermen then by whitewater recreationalists by far.

Just say no to private rationing, ANYWHERE ON THE ARK!
Yea this is why tu does not want any kayaks or duckies in that section messin up their fishing! The Tu reps will say just that if you ask them. They want as few as boats as possible around salider to "keep the fishing experience intact".. Tu feels that kayaks and duckies harm the experience so much that they should not be in that section even if they are not fishing.

I wish someone would get it together so that we could have a boater license plate that would actually support the right to float. Now that is a band wagon I would jump on!!

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #43
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Rabble rabble rabble!
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #44
TU structure

It seems that a little explanation about TU would help this here.
TU is very grassroots based. They have about 20 chapters in the state and then a state council. If their is a push to limit private boats near Salida it's likely a push by the local chapter. I'll do some asking to see if the state level has had any input to this but I doubt it.
Collegiate Peaks Anglers Home Page
If you don't like what they are pushing, you should contact the head of the local chapter and ask to get some time at the next board meeting they have (not general meeting). Ask for some explanation for the limited stance. Hopefully the board is open to listening. I would suggest that whatever boaters that do go, be prepared and polite.

TU does suffer sometimes from an identity issue. Local chapters can have a fishing focus and less trout/salmon conservation view. Sometimes this comes up as a conflict to boaters. Some chapters stick to conservation.
TU has done a ton in terms of cleaning up rivers. They are really the only major force in removing damns in the PacNW for anadromous fish. They've played a big part in keeping water in the Fraiser and Colorado, as well as protecting native fish species.
I've been involved with the Boulder FlyCasters chapter for 14 year and a rafter/kayaker just as long.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #45
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by sbratt View Post
I'll do some asking to see if the state level has had any input to this but I doubt it.
Thanks for checking on this and posting the link to the Collegiate Peaks Anglers website. I notice TU's involved with environmental restoration as well as habitat restoration in their projects page. I notice they also have a page on river etiquette that is very reasonable and promotes mutual understanding between boaters and anglers as well as steering anglers away from different stretches of the river when more boaters are likely to be there.

Looking forward to what you find out.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #46
The next zone, .
sbratt why dont you just ask Fred directly?? If you dont know fred he is the one pictured on the local chapter's web site..... I have his phone and email contact if you cant get a hold of him.

The information I posted came directly from his (fred's) mouth and is documented....

I am not saying that tu has never done any good but as a hole tu is very good at passing the buck and does not support the right to float. They are also pushing the 30 boat per day limit (that will = private boat rationing) in the water around salider. So please call up fred and ask him his opinion on kayaks/duckies and also what tu wants in section 3 of the arkansas. Then please post it here. While you are at it ask f they will support our right to float colorado rivers..

I know that I will catch heat from the local tu chaper for even posting this as they would like to keep it hush hush but I feel that the that private boaters that like to boat around salida should know what tu is asking for here on the ark.
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #47
If you don't like the chapter's stance or Fred's what are you doing to organize boaters against it? You've been quite clear about your opinion of TU and that you don't have a license plate for a right to float but I don't see you doing anything about it. TU didn't make you sign the petition.
If ark valley boaters don't like the local chapters stance, they should organize and push against it. Educate angling friends that their TU chapter is pushing this, push them to go to board meetings and determine if the chapter is representing them. Local chapter boards are often small and mostly retirees. The chapters have a hard time getting feedback from the members for this stuff and they go with who is on the board.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #48
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Ok, I am going to bring this back to reality...
Other states have license plates like this, no doubt, but I would think if there is a protect our rivers license plate, that the benefitting organization would be...dun, dun, dun...the Colorado state funds that are replenished by the purchase of state parks passes, fishing licenses, hunting licenses, etc. Idaho and Illinois both have plates like this, and this is what the revenue benefits.

With this economy, these funds are the first to go out of the state budget, and to be honest, as a licensed fisherman, hunter and state parks pass holder, this $ is far more effective than the private interests of trout unlimited or even American whitewater. I for one will never complain about paying access fees at AHRA, paying for a hunting license, etc, since I know that my $ is well spent on access rights for everyone, in a manner that allows all stakeholders comment, forum and transparent access to see where the $ is spent. I am no pro government guy, but when I see the rangers, I am happy to know they see me using the river and respecting the place that we all call home.
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #49
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I agree with most of you that TU was the wrong organization to sponsor with these funds. As has been mentioned TU stays out of access disputes, thanks in no small part to a few very wealthy individuals who've basically bought em off. I used to be a card carying member of TU until I realized that all TU was doing for me was collecting my membership dues.

I still think the plate is a good idea, and would likely pass if the right group were sponsored. Towards that end I have sent an email to Colorado Water Trust asking them to take up the cause. CWT is all about one thing - keeping water in rivers where it belongs.

Here's a link to their site:

Colorado Water Trust

I really hope they decide to take up the cause as I feel they could put the funds generated to excellent use.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #50
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I gave, but....

I gave $25 a few months ago but haven't heard anything of getting the license plate. A courtesy reply would have been nice.

ch678 is offline   Reply With Quote