Old 02-06-2006   #31
Web Developer/Programmer
Just to clarify something. While Timmy did suggest he had idea of a wiki site, I am in fact the wanker who made this one. I never even considered trying to access the site form the river. Most people I know actually check the guide books before getting to the put-in. Another novel idea would be to print the information pertaining to the run/runs you are interested in and bringing those with you. You could even put them in a swell mapcover to keep them dry on the river. Also would never consider it as a replacement for the bible, or whatever new guidebooks may come. The information would be inherently suspect as anyone can modify it. It is really just an exercise in the possibilites of collaborative technology. If it is something that people find intersting and useful it will grow, if not it will die out. So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #32
Fort Knoxs

How's your broken wing? It's almost spring, do you have your camera lens clean. I have a new Jefe that is gonna look real nice this year.

hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #33
Send a message via MSN to Timmy
Word up Shark Bite!

The wing is looking good. I've stocked up on Vagicil from Sams Club. There should be enough for the two of us, or at least me. Got the lens clean and it is ready for your magnium pose.

Missed you at Winter Park, but no worries. I hooked up with Red Beard and made some turns. See you at the wedding or sooner.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #34
ski/kayak bum
well lets hear it-who's put-in (pun intended) together the new books?

p.s. hopefully they leave certain taboo subjects out of the project.....
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #35
double-a-ron: Update your beta. You live in the OC and you're from the Front Range. Be proud of the 303 in you!

BTW - Snowbird was epic...of the richter epic....see you in 4 days punanny!
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #36
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Has anyone asked Gordon and Dave if they would be willing to let someone else take over the upkeep of the CRC book? It seems like that would possibly be the way to go, as its an awesome base to start with. 90% of the descriptions in that book still work and are accurate, so it would be silly to start from scratch. Why not buy the contents of the book from the original authors, edit it a bit, and add to it where it is missing out. Just a thought.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #37
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Taking over CRC

I've certainly considered trying to get with G&D to see if I could work out a deal to take on publishing of CRC, and to work with local boaters to keep it updated. There are two main issues to think about with this plan.

1. Money. it takes a lot of money to print a book, and a lot of money to pay someone to do the work on the files to update it if you do not have those specialized computer skills. This cost would be on top of the cost of buying Gordon and Dave out.

2. The updating of the info in the book is the easy part. Being a book distributor is the hard part - filling orders, shipping, making calls to make sure shops have the books they need, making calls to the shops to try to get your money when they don't pay you, warehousing a shit ton of books, etc.

I could do numer 2 no problem since I am set up for that with one book and have two more in the works, but number one is a problem since I'm tapped from printing NCRC last year. If I get the financing I want in the next few weeks, though, CRC would be something I would certainly consider and talk to G&D about - if nobody has bought them out already.

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #38
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble here but as mentioned in our previous post a new guidebook is well underway and will be released in the spring of 2007. Don't waste your time trying to put out a new CRC. This will be the new CRC and if you haven't started your own project yet you will be hard pressed to release it before next spring and beyond that there will be no need. If you are interested in contributing to this effort feel free to drop a private message. Oh and Leland, stick with your own coast and come up with some original names for your next projects (all jest aside NCRC looks awesome, a fine service to the southeastern community). Wait till April '07 and I guarantee you will be stoked!
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #39
Also, Just to clarify, this book will be written, produced and published by local paddlers. Cool.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #40
Denver, Colorado
I ran out and bought a backup copy during the last out-of-stock scare.

I never even opened it because with all the river notes and signatures in my original, I can't leave it behind. See, if it is a new section for me, I always have the crew boating it with me sign and date it. If it is a repeat, I leave it at home and go from memory.

So, if they are really sold out this time and you don't want to wait until 2007, I'd reluctantly part with my spare. It is in perfect condition. Make an offer (also willing to trade for a pelican case large enough to hold my other copy).

Just checked your site. Cool, made me long for some Miguel's pizza.
Anyway, thanks to Dave and Gordan, we Coloradoans are now a spoiled bunch. I don't see how anyone finds a put-in/take-out in the South East. The CA water guide made me realize how good the CRC2's decsriptions were. Knauer's illistrations in the CRC2 were great and all, but the best part of the book was the water resistant pages and bomber binding. Can we expect anything close?

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote