Old 02-23-2009   #1
Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
CO - Clubs to join??

Hello all!! I was looking for opinions on all the different whitewater clubs! I would like to join a club, but can't decide on which one to join! I know alot of it is personal preference, but just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. I am looking at PPWC or CW off hand, but not limited too. I want to join for more of the private trips aspect and the community? Any thoughts??

islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. ... - Groucho Marx

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #3
I'd say a lot of it depends on what part of the state you live in.

Other than that, PPWC has a large boating community and a lot of ties with AW. Most of the pro clinics for PPWC you have to be a member of AW. With the pool sessions, boat demos, pro clinics, camp out, and trips it's a good club to be a part of.

I know this year they're going to be introducing more trips on class IV's and V's. So it gives you a lot of choices from beginner kayaking to advanced kayaking.
Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #4
oh yeah
coloradowhitewater has a strong following on the front range and many of their member congregate at the eddy flower forums.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #5
Palmer Lake, Colorado
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. ... - Groucho Marx
Thought that was Samuel Clemens, not that I would ever question you Scott
Geoff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #6
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6

Why choose just one? I know CW and AW are not that expensive, I am a member of both. I don't know much about PPWC myself but I have several friends who are.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #7
pnw, Washington
I would say PPWC but I am biased.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #8
Fo Shizzle!
Ft. Carson, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to NateBrown Send a message via Yahoo to NateBrown
PPWC all the way
Nate Brown
NateBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #9
No bad options

I agree with Badaz. Why make it an either/or? I'm a big fan of CW, but I know a number of PPWC members and they are great guys. So rather than trying to run down a great club like PPWC, I'll tell you what I like about CW.
First, CW offers lots of club trips, ranging from class I to class V. Second, CW has great winter classes, safety seminars, and instruction for all levels of boaters. Third, CW is a great place to meet boaters. We have River weekends on the Ark, the Poudre, the Colorado, and Powderhorn weekend down on the Gunnison, Taylor, Lake Fork, etc. Plus, training camp on the Ark is a great tradition and opportunity for learning boaters. Fourth, CW is very active in access and conservation efforts. Recent efforts have included testimony before the state house and senate, working with SWSI technical roundtables, defending kayakers wrongfully charged with trespassing, preserving access on the Lower Blue, and coordinating policy issues with AW. Finally, CW's fall and spring dinners are fun social events with great speakers, such as Doug Ammons, Pete Heller, Kent Ford, Nick Hinds, Kyle McCutchen, Evan Stafford, and Rebecca Glidden, just to name a few.
I check out PPWC's website on occasion and that club also has lots to offer. So why make it an either/or? Besides, you could join AW, CW, and PPWC and still spend less than you would for a day of skiing. Enjoy them all.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #10
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Have you considered NAMBLA? It's very popular on the front range.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote