Old 10-08-2012   #1
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
CO cloud seeding intent.

Interesting post found in the Durango Herald classifieds, regarding cloud seeding.
The Durango Herald | Durango Colorado Classifieds: Announcements, Employment, Merchandise, Farmers Market, Pets, Real Estate and Transportation
Let's hope for better snow-pack/runoff for the next ten-years.
Comments and opinions.

Notice is hereby given that Western Weather Consultants of Durango, CO ("WWC") has filed with the Colorado Water Conservation Board ("the CWCB") an application for a ten year permit to conduct a wintertime ground-based weather modification program. WWC will conduct the Western Dolores Telluride Ski Area program for the following entities:

Dolores Water Conservation District - Southwestern Water Conservation District - Telluride Skiing Co.

Larry Hjermstad, Manager of WWC, Mike Hjermstad, Asst. Manager and Head of Operations for WWC, and Eric Hjermstad, Head of Field Operations are the people in control of the program.

The permit area request is for ten years and is defined as: The Western San Juan Mountains above 9,000 feet mean sea level in the Upper regions of the West Dolores and San Miguel River drainage basins including the Telluride Ski Area. The target area includes the following counties within the State of Colorado: Dolores, Montezuma and San Miguel. Counties adjacent to counties within the target area and not intended to see any effect from cloud seeding are: Ouray, Montrose, LaPlata, and San Juan Counties.

The operational period will be November 1 through - March 31 for each year for the next ten winters, expiring in 2022.

Safeguards are in place to limit weather modification operations by daily monitoring of snowpack snow water equivalent, avalanche hazard levels, and National Weather Service Severe Weather Statements. The CWCB coordinates daily with permit holders to ensure programs are operated judiciously to minimize danger to the land, health, safety, people, property and the environment. WWC has previously held two permits for cloud seeding in this permit area. WWC has applied for a ten- year permit.

The intended effect of the weather modification operations is to increase precipitation/snowpack snow water content to benefit: natural habitat, agriculture, municipal water, stock growers, recreational and tourism interests, and the local economy.

Complete details of the operations to be conducted are available from: Western Weather Consultants at P.O. Box 58, Durango, Colorado, 81302 or by emailing The CWCB encourages oral and written comments at the public hearing for the record of decision. Please contact Joe Busto, CWCB, 1313 Sherman Street # 721, Denver, Colorado, 80203, or call (303) 866 3441 ext. 3209, or email with comments.

The hearing is open to the public. Comments will be part of the record of decision. The public hearing will be held at the Wilkinson Public Library, 100 W. Pacific Avenue, Telluride, Colorado, at 2:30 PM on Wednesday October 17, 2012 in the Program Room. The public record will be held open so that comments can be emailed to or mailed with postmark of October 24, 2012 for consideration as part of the record of decision. For a copy of the map or application for this project email Joe Busto or visit the web at Colorado Water Conservation Board

Published: October 4 & 11, 2012

Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #2
Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
I am overwhelmed with joy that it is in Colorado and not my state. As history will show, the State of CO has done about all it can to fuck up the natural course of water. I think, if you make the cloud then go ahead and seed it. If not, then stay off the clouds. In my opinion, this is a horrible idea. It is unproven science at best with unexplored detriments. Yeah, I know silver iodide is fairly benign. Every time we try to play "God" we lose. My biggest complaint is that it is stealing. There are only so many weather patterns and so much atmospheric moisture to supply us all. Those people downwind get the shaft. I would be curious to know what the farmers out east think about it. Is it not encouraging irrigation in the earlier summer months to make up for the lack of natural winter precipitation?

Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If it works, can you make them ploy your driveway?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #4
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
Yeah, I know silver iodide is fairly benign. Every time we try to play "God" we lose.
We are pretty good at cloning!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #5
SW, Colorado
This was tried in the late '90's, with no evidence to suggest any positive effect. Buncha' dummies.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #6
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Since we're trying old and proven ineffective methods why not just start plowing up the entire West? After all it was once said that "rain follows the plow", it must be logical.

Rain follows the plow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #7
Wolcott, Colorado
Whatever hippies....seed away...nuke the fing oceans if that will help...just make it snow!!!
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #8
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
WWC consultants has been seeding the San Juans since the 80's if not before..... There are a couple permanent seeding devices near DMR that are used on a regular basis.

I grew up in the SLV, I firsthand have seen seeding work; the farmers would sometime seed the clouds that were coming their way in the summer in hopes of avoiding hail damage. Several times I'd be in the near by mountains and see a plane fly over and suddenly it was pouring.... Scary stuff.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by JDHOG72 View Post
Whatever hippies....seed away...nuke the fing oceans if that will help...just make it snow!!!
Yeah, why aren't we nuking the oceans?
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #10
Sandy, Utah
they've been cloud seeding at the salt lake airport for years with some success. I saw a presentation on it years ago but can't remember the exact details. The overall intent was to get precipitation to fall out of the sky before hitting the runways and icing them up. I believe it also reduced fog levels. It's a group of researchers from the University of Utah. At the time of hearing about this I was skeptical of their ability to make this work but the researchers showed me otherwise. Their operation involved airplanes, I'm not sure how the ground operations compare in effectiveness.

cprice is offline   Reply With Quote