Old 04-24-2006   #21
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
Roy... Glad you are ok... way to stick in there... and thanks for writing it up. Everyone's comments are great too.

I just wanted to add a note about the rapid... Trash Can. In my opinion this is the most notoreous rapid on Bailey. It has pinned many paddlers (including myself), dislocated many shoulders, and caused many good boaters to swim. It is one of those fun class IVs that nobody really bats an eye to... but it is a rapid to definitely be aware of... don't under estimate Trash Can.

alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Ture, I think your first sentence is right on. I don't really know what else could have been done from the shore. The skirt had to be cut or dislodged and that had to happen in the river.

The fixed line across the river would have been awesome to buy some time to cut the skirt, but from where I was, I doubt you could have got it to me, or if it could have been anchored where it would have kept my head up. In retrospect, it may have been worth the time to have Jeff throw his rope and try to clip my rescue leash into it, but I really doubt he could have kept my head up from where he was.

Next time I go through there, I do want to stop and check the scene from the shore to see how it compares to my perspective.

Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #23
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I've always worn a knife on my rafting PFD but never on my kayak PFD. Although I keep a pocket knife in the pocket. I always figured I didnt want a blade that close to my neck on a bumpy swim and that the chances for entanglement were lower in a kayak than a raft because there is far less stuff to get caught up in. After reading this post I'm rethinking that logic. I like the looks of that bear claw in the link.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #24
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
One more thing to add to this thread. When you DO get the knife you need, don't use it to cut bagels, shape hip pad foam, etc. Needless to say, when you really need it, it should be as sharp as the day you bought it. If your old knife is dull, get it professionally sharpened or replace it.

Roy- Glad you're ok, by the way.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Glad things worked out and you are okay.. -- WOW ...

Question -- did you try to "pop" the skirt off whatever had it snagged, or was it out of reach/too much water pressure, etc. ?

And -- sounds like I will be making two small changes to my outfitting. I do have a nice sharp knife in a sheath already on my PFD. What I will be changing is to add a second knife to the pocket in my PFD - And add a short chord for a laynard to it to help prevent losing the knife while in use (I'm thinking of a piece of elastic cord that has a loop that is just long enough to slip my hand through the loop and be able to hold onto the knife). Knife with cord will be kept in a zippered pocket on the PFD. The second knife has a mean serrated edge to it.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Question -- did you try to "pop" the skirt off whatever had it snagged, or was it out of reach/too much water pressure, etc. ?
I did try to pull forward (with the current) to maybe roll the rock(?) or tip it enough to free the skirt, but it didn't budge. There was too much tension to "pop" it, and turning around wasn't an option due to the flow jetting into the back of my head and the precarious footing. I think doing so would have bent me backwards!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #27
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Wow, that is pretty scary! Good to hear that you are OK Roy, be safe!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #28

Glad you're OK. Way to stay calm and be on top of things. Someone without river experience and it would not have been a good scene.

Hope you find that lucky paddle if it's the one we found in the road at Big South last summer.

I will be purchasing a new knife and installing via Cheyenne's idea. I do recall a story of a person on the Ocoee who hit their head in Double Trouble and was knocked unconscious. The person attempting to rescue them used a knife to cut the skirt and also cut the femoral artery in the boaters leg. Boater bleed to death on the scene.

BTW... Is Trash Can the double boof ledge hole thing with rocks on the left near the end of the run? If so, it's waiting for the unwary boofer.
PiToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #29
Sometimes I have felt like a dork walking around with my knife even in playspots
you should never feel like a dork carrying a knife, they're like chainsaws, guns, and canned beer
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #30
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
LOL...that's good shit.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote