Old 09-16-2008   #31
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
everyone that looks at the picture immediately thinks 60...the kids jumping the day I did that were even trying to say they thought is was 60. There is no way. Being a rock climber and life long cliff jumper I am pretty sure (that day) it was about 40-45ft. I didn't measure it with a tape or anything but I think that depending on the flow it will range in the high 30's to low 40's.

I think that cannonballing should generally stop where a perserver starts to be an issue. Much more than a 20ft cannonball is probably going to hurt you.

As for technique on cliff jumping there's really only one thing to accomplish. Upon entry be as aerodynamic as possible. Point your toes, get your arms in close, maybe even give the jewels a hand shake for protection. Look down right as your starting to enter then look forward. If you worried about depth then curve your body as you enter to get the force moving anyway but straight down. I've bruise my hands and arms from keeping them out thinking it would help with shallow water landings...bad idea.

If you're not planning on doing a flip or dive then generally the best way to accomplish this is either a running start and then windmilling your arms and legs. The windmilling creates a gyro effect and helps to keep you from drifting from side to side or forward or backward. Looking at the landing is also helpful in making a nice straight entry. Lastly the water surface will also effect the impact. Glassy water is much harder to penetrate than choppy water because of the philosphy of water being harder than concrete. When you hit the dense perfectly flat water it needs to disburse to let you enter. Glassy water is actually harder than choppy water so when you hit it, it hurts less from high spots. Rivers are generally better than lakes but if your jumping into glass on a lake have a buddy create some turbulance in the water and it should help.

jbarnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You also get softer landings if you can jump into aerated water at the bottom of a rapid or a waterfall.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #33
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
You also get softer landings if you can jump into aerated water at the bottom of a rapid or a waterfall.
case in point: upper devils punchbowl
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #34
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to kevintee
Originally Posted by raftus View Post

'Softer' also means you're decelerating slower, so if you're unsure of the depth this may be something to avoid.
University of Denver Kayak Club
Got a boat or gear to get rid of? PM me and donate!
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #35
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
The rock that looks good to go for a seal slide has a little lip that bumps your boat up for a flat landing, it before the rapids or every little wave will hurt the next 15 miles.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #36
Golden, Colorado

Ah, the big dilema as I get older. I love cliff jumping but above a certain height, it's just not worth it on my back anymore. I've never gotten hurt except for some ass bruises, but I can tell it does a number on my spine. I usually only go big in lakes where I can see 15-20 feet down. I only jump in rivers anymore at known cliff jumping spots. I jumped off the south canyon bridge once and just brushed a rock under the muddy water. That was stupid.

Has anyone noticed the higher you jump the less deep you go once you hit? Above 80 feet is seems like the turbulence when you hit is so great you just maytag in the upper 5-10 feet of water.

I never jump with a life vest but have comtemplated it after hearing about my brother-in-law getting knocked unconsious jumping from a 60 feet bridge. Rather than looking staight ahead when he hit he kept looking down and took the impact on his face. There are also the posters at Lake Powell stating that it is now illegal to jump and showing photos of a guy getting knocked unconsious. They found his body a hundred feet down. I don't know how much of a risk it is getting knocked unconcious if you have proper form, but then again it's when things go wrong that you need the backup protection.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #37
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by SSOWDEN View Post
I think that is a rare photo of boofington with cloths on off the ten meter platform just upriver of echo park on the Yampa.
Holy moly Sawden! What the hell is up?

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote