Old 05-01-2006   #11
Golden, Colorado
I looked at Rigor Mortis at about 1300-1500 that year we got the huge blizzard in March.

It was scary V+. It was so fast and violent. It looked like it would wash you through but it was so violent that you couldn't predict what would happen if you got out of your boat. If I remember right, the wicked hole on the left was still a factor. The big rock at the bottom was pretty much under water. I heard that some pro ran it when it was close to peak and got trashed and their boat got folded up and smashed and they got their ass kicked...but that is just heresay....probably just a story made up by all the people who stared at it and took pictures....I didn't see anyone running RigorMortis, the Narrows, or BlackRock for about 2 weeks during peak that year. I'm sure that people did, but I know there were not too many takers.

I swam the narrows that year at around 1000 and it was fucked. I haven't swam BlackRock at high water (thank god) but I think that would be the worst one because it stays continuous for a good distance when it is high. I think it rates a solid V above 1000 because swimming the whole thing might kill you. I like to rate them on how bad the swim would be

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
re: CC, I think upper (kermits) can be trickier than Lower. There are a few holes that I have seen grab and spend a little time with unsuspecting creekers. For playboats, lower is more convienient, but upper is a little creekier. Overall, CC seems more consistent than #'s. Pine Creek gives the #'s run a great start.

gregmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #13
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yo, for all you frontrangers who love clear creek so much, get out there and pull the log out of Mr. Bill's Hole in the Narrows. We went and Z-dragged several different directions for 2 1/2 hours until it got dark, and I don't really like the run. Couldn't get it out, but it's now moving and needs some fresh ideas. Don't need a saw, just ropes and pulleys. Maybe bring a boat to ferry and get a different angle on it. I posted a pick under the creeking section so you can see how important it is that it goes. Also, this is a great rescue challenge. It's nice to break out the rescue gear and remember those knots and what works and what doesn't.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #14
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado

good post, you really stirred shit up with this one!

(I'm not biased though!!!)

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #15
Golden, Colorado
I would like to go work on the log in Mr. Bill today (Thur) after work. The IT dept. at work started filtering out (bastards) so please email me directly if interested:

I'm keeping a list of the folks who don't like Clear Creek and they are banned from: upper run, black rock, lower run, and the play park.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote