Old 06-07-2006   #1
Clear Creek Strainer

About 1/4 mile below the first tunnel, but above the diversion channel there is a downed tree that is river does need to be portaged....CAUTION....happy boating.....

P.S. If anyone picked up a Red Stohlquist PFD at rigor mortis takeout sometime after 5/27 please give me a call....Thank you

-Dave Thomas

SkiandBoat'87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
It's river wide now? It was 1/3 to 1/2 of channel on Sunday. It looked like that tree was slowly falling in, I guess she finally went.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3
This is a HUGE tree. When we heard about it on our way to run Lower Clear Creek, we thought that we'd stop and try to pull it out with a come-along. It wasn't even worth trying. It is going to take several people and a chainsaw to make a dent in this thing.

I talked to a tourist ducky boater who had just rented his gear and ran into it. He nearly killed himself. This is a very dangerous situation. Be safe!
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. It's HUGE. It could take a whole army of beavers to clean it out. It could be a tricky extraction with the WW park downstream and high flows. One would need to be careful not to send too much wood downstream while clearing it out. I'd love to help, but woun't be available until mid next week. I have a chain saw, but having seen the tree, you'd want one of those big lumber saws to make a dent in it.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
One more thing- its a good idea to eddy out RIVER LEFT above the strainer. The left side has the good portage. At this level the ferry from right to left is very doable, but not that easy- and it is a must-make ferry.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Is there realistically anything that can be done now, or will we have to wait for the water to come down? I haven't taken a look at it yet. It would be nice to rally a crew to get it out if possible, or at least cut enough to make a passable channel. I would be willing to help if anyone wants to rally a crew.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #7
Metro Area, Colorado
I don't own a saw of any kind, but would be more than willing to throw in my muscle (b/c I'm so HUGE!). If someone wants to throw together a date and a plan, let me know and I would love to join. Hope everyone is having fun out there!

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote