Old 06-27-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by TheDeb View Post
This came to me from a source that was on the water at the park when it went down. The man was tubing and lost his tube in Rodeo hole. He flushed downriver. No pfd. No helmet... If my friend jumps on the buzz, and feels up to it, he may elaborate more.
First, please let me give my condolences to the family of the deceased.

I was there and witnessed the events leading up to the drowning.

The man was on a tube and he got surfed in Rodeo. His tube stuck and he floated down the main current without secondary flotation. He floated around the bend and out of sight and I didn't see him again until I was out of the creek and he was being attended to by first responders.

Without knowing exactly where he became unconscious, my best guess is that he was incapacitated in the first big drop after Rodeo. I nosed in pretty hard in this hole, submerged, and fought to stay upright on the rebound. This would have been a very difficult hole to swim without gear.

Please be safe on the water.

Again, my condolences.

Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #12
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Nessy, thanks for posting.

Back to the original point of this post before getting off-track thanks to FrankC enlightening education on how great of a swimmer he is.

The Golden Rescue Department thinks that it is people best interest to close the park to tubers and swimmers until the levels drop. It will not be closed to properly equip whitewater paddlers.

This a just another example of the power of water. Even though whitewater parks have man made features they are not without risk and danger. Please respect the power of the river at all times. Man influenced or not rivers can be dangerous. It only takes of teaspoon of water in the wrong part of your body to drown. Our bodies have their own unique operating functions, a "dry" drowning is caused when water strikes the back of your throat and your throat and lungs sees up to prevent more water from possibly coming in. If this happens to you when you are underwater, you would blackout very quickly, and the result could be fatal.

This is why we wear life jackets, and even then water can still win the battle in the long run.

Don't try to be a hero, just try to be safe.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #13
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
The preacher getting preachy...douche.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #14
Golden, Colorado
I don't know... I'm a very good swimmer and I think it would be risking my life to swim the playpark at > 1000 cfs without a PFD. 1000 cfs is bank full and cranking fast.

I don't even like going up to my regular spot (Black Rock) over 1000 because I know it is like someone hit the switch to "scary swim" as soon as 1000 or so is reached. A kayaker swimming any section of the canyon > 1000 cfs is going to hate it and it would be no picnic for a PFD-less swimmer in town.

I think Clear Creek over 1000 is a different beast, in all sections, including lower CC and town.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #15
Denver, Colorado
Well said Don.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #16
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
swam outta rigor yesterday when clear creek was at 1100ish and i can promise you i am very happy that i had my pfd and helmet on... it was quite painful without them...
tequilamockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #17
FrankC....sorry, hope maturity encounters you some time in this life, as it hasn't yet. Its sad and disturbing that you do not respect life and especially the unfortunate accident that claimed a life.

1000+ CFS in Golden is big, even though the waves/holes are not huge. The water is moving very swiftly.

I am a phenomenal swimmer who grew up on the ocean. I am in excellent shape. I haven't paddled in 7 years and so last week I got in the park for the first time. I rolled up a few times and then one time I didn't and took a swim. I was blown away with how difficult it was for me to get to the side...albeit I had paddle in one hand and trying to not lose my boat....its was painful, I didn't choke, but I did take down a lot of water, and was washed down a couple hundred yards...I believe an act of God helped me get to the side!

I was very shocked and surprised how difficult swimming was in this and I had my helmet and pfd on. Who knows the circumstance, one wrong move and you drown. Unfortunately many people do not understand how serious this water is. It doesn't appear dangerous from the side. I know without the experience of paddling, I would definitely consider jumping right in without a pfd or helmet to go tubing or a swim, as it doesn't look dangerous or threatening.

FrankC, people with pride always fall.

Condolences to the family
stephengrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #18
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Sorry FC

Sorry to pee in your pool FrankC, but your words could really do more harm than good.

Until you have been out there a little longer you might want to stick to the sidelines and keep your mouth shut before you hurt someone with inability to reason.

But, you sure do have a pretty mouth. I just hope we don't need to teach you to pray (real good).
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #19
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
To be fair, Frank called it, way back before someone died. I'm a little frustrated they didn't ban PFD-less people from the river sooner (assuming they have now? Not sure.)

Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Evidently Golden is cracking down on illegal drinking in the park also.

Hopefully they will ban tubing at high water this June before Darwinism claims a few victims.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #20
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
The preacher getting preachy...douche.
Maybe "Touche" is the choice word here Frank.

gregmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote