Old 04-26-2013   #21
It's very easy to sit here and make predictions with nothing on the line. I say that in order to guess you have to put up one bottle of quality brew (preferably an IPA) for the flow and one for the date.

My guess is 813 cfs on 6/15. You can leave my winnings in the pull off by Rigo. I'll pick them up while I portage.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I accede to the wager: price is right scoring, furthest out buys a sixer. I'm also down for helping on the BR Race.

Kevin, I'll even judge the Cripps hole rodeo!

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #23
Indian Hills, Colorado
Oh rules. Sure. To wager a flow rate, you're in for a beer or a bottle of 12 yr old scotch, preferably well peated.

In so far as rate and date. Winner is primarily based on rate. Adding a date will greatly improve your chance of being declared winner by mob rule. If steve were to guess 700 on June 3 and the peak was 701 on June 3rd, then Kevin would swim out of Cripps hole on the 3rd and give Steve a beer or a bottle of 15 year old scotch.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've been gutting said hole in Screaming 1/4 mile all year, seeing how high the flow had to get to start dishing out the goods. Well, it's finally in. I caught a huge ender going through it this evening and it dumped me all the way over the back. I rolled up side surfing. In recent years, I've learned to handle this situation better by asking myself, "WWFD: What Would Forrest Do?"

Here are some lessons I've learned from Forrest:

Lesson 1) Hole riding is sick! While some might consider it a curse to get stuck in a sticky hole, the reality is, it's a privilege. Once you realize this, you can stop being so fearful, relax and enjoy the ride.

Lesson 2) Why would you swim out of a hole when you can surf out of it? It's way sicker to stay in your boat than swimming out of a hole, and sicker is always better.

Lesson 3) Plan an exit strategy. It so happens I asked Forrest specific advice on this hole. He told me the hole is too deep to flush you out upside down. Instead, you need to claw out the river right side of it with a few power strokes. Unfortunately, I was pointed river left and we hadn't covered this particular orientation, so this lesson wasn't too helpful at the moment. (Lesson 3b - ask questions about all possible options)

Lesson 4) Pulling your skirt is not an option. After trying a couple window shades and finding myself back in the same side surf, I began to ask myself what options I had left. I couldn't get my boat to move one iota in any direction. But I remembered that Forrest will stay in his boat for at least as much time as it takes to have someone drive home, grab a rope, and drive back to the river. So I had a lot of time to contemplate my next move.

Lesson 5) When in doubt, hang out. Every time I've seen Forrest run Rigo, he spends more time underwater than above and yet he always seems to flush out the bottom. I decided it was time for some more underwater time. I held my breath, flipped, and spent time hanging out underwater. Eventually, I rolled up and found myself on a side surf facing back river right this time. I remembered Lesson 3, and clawed my way out the corner to freedom!

Lesson 6) There's no need to drive all the way to Gore to get worked when there's good hole riding to be had close to home.

Happy surfing!
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I need to go do a tutelage under sensei Forest. Maybe he can show me the lines on Rigo.

Side note: wonder if it was peaking last night with rain flows? 800+. Not sure if anyone even mentioned it getting that high. With some heat after the rain we might see some juicy flows this week I bet.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #26
Indian Hills, Colorado
Sounds like you owned your hole last night. Wish I could have been there to watch.

For those not familiar: What was once the "goal post boof" a.k.a. "rainbow boof no. 2," was destroyed in fit of nature's fury in 2011. What rose from the ashes is a medusa named Cripps Hole and when she gets wet, she has no mercy.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #27
Hell yes KSC! That's exactly what Forrest would do.

I can attest that Cripps hole was stompy last night, and the typical center-right, down the middle will stop you in your tracks. I got momentarily stuffed, one paddler back endered (poor fella followed my line), and Tina talked some shit about just going left and easily boofing over the thing (definitely not what Forrest would do). Nice spike last night up there.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Kevin, now that you are a hole riding badass, Forrest Jr. style, you should just drop into Cripps hole sideways with a brown claw every time you run lower. Thats way sicker than just boofing it.

I'm pretty amazed at clear creeks flows. I thought the cool weather would stop the melt, but its got a head of steam and it keeps on coming up. Awesome. My peak prediction has already been exceeded. I think its going to peak next week as this weekends hot weather melts off the rest of the lower elevation snowpack.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #29
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Lesson 7: Believe it or not another thing that will help you to reach the green water under the pillow is to throw ends. Try to use the hole's shoulders to engage a semi-spin and once an end breaks free drip it into the upstream current and hold on, because you're going to change position in the hole.

I've used this quite a bit in the past. Some times you get stuck side surfing in a direction that doesn't go anywhere. So, try and change the direction you're facing. Bob's your uncle.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #30
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks Kevin...I was kinda in a bad mood this morning but that helped a lot!!

glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote