Old 09-16-2013   #21
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Btw since you any read basic English I live in Bozeman
Maybe if you proof read more of your posts before submitting people would take you more seriously.

Edit: I know, I know. You haven't quite figured out that iPhone yet.

coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #22
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Not to call you out Cutch, but you had to start a thread on here about how you lost all your shit the other day on Bear Creek at perfectly reasonable flows.

Just because you haven't ever had a 911 call on the river doesn't mean they haven't been made. Just because you understand that lost boats happen doesn't mean that other folks and authorities do. It isn't all about you, or about us boaters in general. You're making a false equivalency here that perfectly reasonable flows = perfectly reasonable to paddle. There are other factors in play.

It is not "setting a precedent" randomly. It is following a written law.

Anyway, it sounds like there is raw sewage leaking into CC now so who still wants to boat there? Yuck...

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #23
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
And don't get me wrong, I paddled my bum off over the last 4 days... but I will respect the closures that are in effect now.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #24
Silly me. I thought we were talking about river access issues, but apparently this thread is all about how I'm a selfish arrogant disrespectful ass that deserves to be arrested because I swam and made kayakers look bad.

Got it. Bye.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #25
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm not sure the status as of this morning, but yesterday evening a large amount of raw sewage was spilling into Clear Creek at Soda Creek in Idaho Springs. This might have something to do with the closures as well.
glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #26
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I just fail to see the conspiracy that, when four major drainages take out huge chunks of land, and one river happens to get caught up in the fray, it's some kind of travesty. Josh, you may have a hard time believing that a county planner can look at one road closure and say "put us on the list," yet I find it quite easy to believe they'd do that as a CYA move. I find it even more believable when you consider that by adding themselves to the disaster, they can receive funds. I look at the response from a state perspective. They didn't shut down the river because of flows. They shut down the river because the county was added to the state disaster deceleration. And, I agree. It sucks. Yet, they would gladly shutdown the river if it means getting federal funds.

Kyle, I honestly don't think it stets a bad precedent. If they closed it w/o being part of the disaster, then that would be inconsistent with the law and worthy of grand protest. If we complain about the law being ridiculous then we use the same argument that others use to try to take away access by ignoring the laws that protect the river. Now, if jeffco started declaring the spring runoff a state disaster each year, then that's another matter.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #27
Boulder, Colorado
For some of this disaster, it may not be the actual water in the creek where the hazard is. The ground is super saturated. Someone was killed in the little town where I live (Jamestown), not from the creek, but from a land/mudslide that crushed his house. I spoke with some folks from town last night that where 100's of feet above the creek, they were concerned about the hill behind them sliding into the house (they were hearing boulders crashing down the hill).

And while I know many of you are very excellent boaters and can handle the gnar, think about what would happen if you are dancing down the screaming 1/4 mile and the hill ahead of you is starting to slide.

In every rescue class I've taken (swiftwater, avalanche, wilderness first responder) it is drilled into us to not add to the severity of the event by becoming a "victim" ourselves.

BTW .. my house was flooded, and I watched friend's houses wash away.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #28
Golden, Colorado
Couple thoughts:

1) As Cheyenne posted, Clear Creek is legally closed to kayaking by C.R.S. I just wanted to make sure it was legally closed because the Sheriff has a bad habit of closing rivers when they feel like it and not acknowledging that C.R.S. 33-13-111 expressly exempts whitewater kayaks and canoes from such closures except in certain circumstances. I don't want that precedent to continue.

2) A legitimate reason for (legally) closing it is to not strain resources when there are several disaster areas nearby. Like Cutch said, it is unfortunate that they devote resources unnecessarily to lost boats, but that is what happens.

3) I don't buy that there is any other legitimate reason to close the canyon (including rockslides or kayakers being in the way). If that were the case, the road would be closed to gamblers and tour buses as well.

4) It's best just to ignore Mike.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #29
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
CMike, are you injured and unable to boat presently, or unable to boat due to lack of water in your vicinity? Your posts throughout this event have been retarded, even for you.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #30
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Yep staying out of the way is retard advice while you have been boating sewage. Yea I'm retarded..

Go back to being selfish go get it karma has it own way of dealing with people. And there is always boating here I don't get a jones to paddle where and when I shouldn't. I'm not retarded

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote