Old 09-16-2013   #11
Golden, Colorado
Nevermind, Cheyenne. I saw you posted links. Thanks.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Regular flows perhaps. Still don't change the situation happening around y'all.. Pretty simple either you understand or not..respect can go along ways at this moment. Nobody says dont go kayaking, don't do it where you may potentially screw yourself or your friend if the situation shows. That is the reality of the situation.. Lots extra shit in creek lots extra dangers and no safety net! Sounds sick

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #13
Golden, Colorado
So this means the Golden Play Park is closed also, and the Sheriff could arrest you, correct?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #14
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
So, I get it. It sucks. Still, it's not some random conspiracy in an attempt to keep kayakers off of the river. I don't think the emergency planners are a) thinking the water is too high and thus dangerous or b) that the water is sooo awesome and we're stuck in the office and can't boat so nobody can. I think they added jeffco to the list due in part to the landslide at the mouth of the canyon. Thus, the law enforcement officers, bound by law, have to enforce the law.

I think the fact that there is a genuine disaster would, at the very least, impress upon most that the actual disaster might be more important than getting an extra fall lap on black rock. I'm not too off put that they closed CC to boating. I'm rather glad I don't have to use a boat just to get to my mail box.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #15
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
The ranger at the park said that it was open last night when I talked to him. They had not recieved word to close that section yet. Which makes no sense to me considering that the upper canyon is closed. The frustrating part is the lack of communication amongst the authorities. I spoke to state patrol twice yesterday and still when I got to the play park I had to clear things up with the ranger there. This happens all the time on clear creek, closed canyon or not. For clear creek at higher water lost gear is not abnormal. Look back to 2011 when everyone was getting worked at these higher flows, enough to have high water clear creek stickers made. On a side note, maybe the shops should have: so you lost your paddle on Bear Creek sales, similar to you broke your boat on bear creek sales done in the past.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #16
Westminster, Colorado
I have a hard time believing that they closed the canyon due to landslides. If that's the case they need to shut the entire canyon, roads and all down to keep the tourons from taking that facebook selfie next to the cascading water fall that's 50 feet from a rockslide.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #17
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This isn't just about the risk of a kayaker needing emergancy assistance and adding to the mess. Clear Creek Canyon has become a vital access route to the mountain communities.

At this time the only access to Nederland, Golden Gate Canyon, Coal Creek Canyon, Wondervu, Pinecliffe, Cresent Village, Jamestone, Peaceful Valley, Raymond, Gold Hill and other areas effected by this disaster is West bound hwy 119 to Golden via Clear Creek Canyon.

Every bit of food, water and gasoline needed to support the rescue effort needs to travel this route. Just being on the road in these areas means YOU ARE IN THE WAY.

As a one of the many foks stranded in these areas I ask you to think about your actions. It is not about wether or not you think you found a legal loophole that let's you justify ignoring the posted signs and recommendations those in charge of the emergancy evacutations to stay away.

It is about doing the right thing. Lets get people safe, then we can argue about where and when it is a good idea to go boating.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #18
Kermits to Golden tonight anyone?
Mass peace float. Don't swim or they'll book your kayak in as evidence.

Mike, stop reading the news. It's propaganda. In twenty years of kayaking, I have never been with a group that has called 911 to assist with a river rescue. We've never expected rescue in our life, and we don't now on a medium level Clear Creek.

Honestly, the authorities should NEVER respond to a call about abandoned/lost/unmanned watercraft on moving water. If the caller doesn't actually see a person in danger, then the dispatcher should explain to them that lost boats happen, and should not send anyone to look. This would solve a lot of problems, regardless of what is going on elsewhere.

CBrown gets it. There are plenty of kayakers that went boating the last few days, that live in the flood zones, that have flooded basements, that get it. And plenty of us are offering out assistance to the flood victims. And boating in the meantime. That isn't disrespectful and bullshit to be called illegal.

The floods have been devastating in many parts of the state, and there's obviously some common sense to not drive to the places that the authorities are telling us not to, such as the Saint Vrain drainages and the Big Thompson drainages. There's certainly a number of things that we as neighbors are doing, and can do to help. There is heartfelt sympathy for those that have lost their lives, their homes, and their access to the rest of society.

It's absurd to arrest people for kayaking on Clear Creek at current flows, and sets a horrible precedent for the future of river access.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #19
Ouray & Buena Vista & Winter Park, Colorado
Hey caspermike.

I wish you would stop being such a douche bag. I usually find your angry rambling pretty entertaining. However I have read several posts in the last few days where u have gone off and completely ripped apart several boaters on here, many of which I consider my friends, for the way that they are reacting to the flooding in their home towns. It's their business not yours. You live in Casper. When it rains and floods there you can do what you want. You can make the decision to stay at home, or go volunteer or go run some whitewater that hasn't run in years it will be up to you. Until then keep your rude, unfounded opinions to yourself. What goes on on the front range has nothing to do with you.

PS. Please read a grammar book and learn the difference in there, their and they're.

Thank you. Have a wonderful day.
!*!*!*!*!*Heidi Jo*!*!*!*!*!!
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #20
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
No cutch 911 has never been called for any kayak rescue not even in the virgin narrows.. Quit being a disrespectful selfish bastard.. You of all should understand you swam last week and no it's not propaganda it's been declared..

Grow up kyle

Btw since you any read basic English I live in Bozeman

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote