Old 06-23-2005   #11
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
All the above information is true....the total cost of the incident is estimated between $1-1.5 million. The canyon will most likely be closed for a couple weeks. This long closure period is due to mitigation efforts to reduce the number of falling rocks in this area in the furture. They are not pushing the debris into the river so no new rapids. Sorry all!

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #12
CWWA Update on Clear Creek Closure

Hey All. I just wanted to give you an update on the road/river closure. I spoke to Jeffco and CDOT today about the road and river closure on Clear Creek. The press release makes it sound like Jeffco and CDOT are worried about the water being "dangerous", but the real issue is repairing the road and not having to worry about risk during the blasting and clean up phases. Apparently, CDOT will be doing some blasting over the next week or so, and wants to be able to move rock without worrying about traffic, etc. By statute (C.R.S. § 33-13-111) kayaks are exempt from law enforcement orders closing waterways. The exemption is subject to five exceptions, which includes an exception for when an accident occurs in or near a body of water, and another for when there is active construction or transportation projects underway. I've been told that AFTER the blasting (and perhaps some of the cleanup) is over, a section of the road/river between 73 and 119 MIGHT (do not read will) be opened. Obviously, the timing is terrible, and hopefully a portion of the river will re-open soon. If I hear more, I'll post. Cheers. Patrick Tooley CWWA Access.

patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #13
Highway 58 revisited

Yes, I know it's Highway 58 and not 73. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-23-2005   #14
Thanks much for the clear info on Clear Creek.

Would it help if many of us called to CDOT and asked to open the road up to Green Bridge or tunnel 2 or so. That's 5 miles from the slide. It should give them enough room and distance for the radio controlled blasting.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #15
I don't think it would hurt if it is done correctly. For about four or five years certain legislators tried to get rid of the kayak exemption. We were always able to kill the amendment deleting the exemption. A couple of years ago, the bill was amended to include the five limited exceptions which allow law enforcement to close waterways to everyone, including kayakers. I think we should be careful not to give anyone a reason to try and eliminate the kayak exemption completely. There are legitimate governmental safety and operation concerns that support some sort of closure to do the blasting, clean-up, etc. I just want the closure to be for as short a period and short a stretch as possible. So long as the dialogue is respectful and appropriate it may help open at least some sections of the river sooner. I spoke to several people at Jeffco and CDOT. Bob Wilson, a public information officer at CDOT, was informative and understands everyone's perspective. He might be a good one to call. I don't have his number with me now, but if you call CDOT I'm sure they can get you to him. The other thing to keep in mind with Jeffco is that last year they had to deal with the girder collapsing on the overpass, which killed a family. Jeffco may be gunshy as a result. Cheers.
Old 06-24-2005   #16
Amsterdam, Netherlands
so it sounds like the Kermits run is accessible??? put-in at Kermits and take-out at 119. -t
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Patrickt, thanks for the insights. Can you tell us which legislators were trying to shut down the kayak exemption? Are they elected officials? No nasty emails or anything, but I'd like to make sure I'm not voting for someone who doesn't represent our interests.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #18
Hi Jacob. It would take some digging for me to reconstruct that. What I will do is post if there are new efforts to eliminate the kayak exemption, with contact info for those legislators sponsoring the legislation.
Old 06-25-2005   #19
Open for recreation!

I just heard on the news that tomorrow, the road will:

"open from Golden to within 1-1/2 miles from the rock slide area"

"Only recreational traffic will be allowed through."

"The rafters, kayakers, hikers: everyone that has been begging us to get back inot the canyon, tomorrow morning, will be able to do so.

"You still will not be able to drive through the rock slide site, but waterway access will be open."

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #20
A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by ec
Police: The Road is closed, move along.
Driver: F#@$ OFF officer, don't you see the #$$@ kayaks in my truck.
Police: I'm sorry sir, you can drive right up the canyon, have a GREAT time!! We cleared a special path for kayakers only.

I can bust this out now.....kick ass!

ec is offline   Reply With Quote