Old 05-11-2009   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Clear Creek Canyon partial closure

Looks like CDOT is doing some work on hwy 6 through clear creek canyon. They are closing the upper part from kermits to 119 this week (tue-thur 7am-2pm), and closing the lower part from 119 to golden next week (tue-thur 7am-2pm).

I guess the work has to be done, but damn I hate it when they do work during runoff. I guess its still open for business for after work runs, but they just cock-blocked my go to lunch hour run! Damn it!

News From
The Colorado Department
of Transportation
May11, 2009 Contact: Bob Wilson, CDOT Public Relations, (303) 757-9431

Closure begins tomorrow
CLEAR CREEK/JEFFERSON COUNTIES The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) will close U.S. 6 through Clear Creek Canyon for three days this week and three days next week for tunnel light replacement and repairs.
Beginning tomorrow, Tuesday, May 12, and continuing on Wednesday and Thursday (May 13-14), U.S. 6 will be closed between U.S. 40 (bottom of Floyd Hill) and the State Highway (SH) 119 junction from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., as crews upgrade the lighting through Tunnels Five and Six. Access to Black Hawk and Central City from the Denver area will remain via U.S. 6 west from Golden to SH 119. The suggested alternate route for drivers traveling into the area from the west (Clear Creek, Summit counties and elsewhere) is the Central City Parkway via Exit 243 (Hidden Valley).
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week (May 19-21), U.S. 6 will be closed between the SH 119 junction and the SH 93/58 junction in Golden from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. for upgrades to Tunnels One, Two and Three. In addition to the Central City Parkway (I-70 Exit 243), another alternate route during the closure is Interstate 70 to Exit 244 (bottom of Floyd Hill), and east on U.S. 6 about three miles to SH 119. Southbound drivers on SH 119 will need to go west on U.S. 6 about 2 miles to U.S. 40, east on U.S. 40 over Floyd Hill and access I-70 at the Beaver Brook interchange.
In addition to the closure of U.S. 6, rock mitigation work continues in Clear Creek Canyon and north Clear Creek Canyon on weekdays. This week, traffic stops up to 20 minutes should be anticipated on SH 119, two to three miles north of the U.S. 6 junction, from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 5 a.m. to noon on Friday. Next week, during the same hours, flaggers will alternate traffic through the area, with stops up to 15 minutes.
REMINDER: Recreational traffic is restricted from using Clear Creek Canyon through the areas where the highway is closed to maintain public safety. This restriction includes bicyclists and hikers.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #2
Golden, Colorado
I tried to talk to the CDOT contact person about how they decided to schedule their pullout repaving project in May a few seasons back... but they didn't really want to listen. I think most of the people scheduling those CDOT jobs are retarded pot-hole fillers who worked their way up, but I won't say that because last time I did some retarded pot-hole filler on mtn buzz got offended.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote