Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-22-2007   #11
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
being kept in the loop and access to CCC during paving are 2 differing issues. If EMT vehicles can't get in, then in no way will we get in. The canyon is in bad need of some work. we won't miss much.

that's all I was saying, they've given it consideration, but it's not going to change. It's a pretty small time frame to get a project like that done, hope it really is that fast. I live in clear creek (cty) so I'd really like to see it open also.

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #12
I sure hope they get the work done on schedule and that the flow doesn't start early.

It isn't clear to me if the river is closed for a run from Kermit's all the way down to Golden.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
So how do they tell us boaters that this stretch of river is closed? Is it that obvious or do they put a sign up along the river or at the put in? Just curious
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I think its worth having the discussion just to see whats going on and see if there are opportunities for access. It also is helpful for the boating community to start building a relationship with CDOT as that is definitely in our best interest.

I'd be suprised if emergency vehicles could not get into the canyon. How would CDOT deal with an accident on the construction crew? I'm no expert, but I'd bet that CDOT has emergency and evactuation plans for their crews in the case that something happens. There is no way they would do work in a canyon without a way to help injured workers.

So they probably don't want anyone around just to minimize the amount of things they have to deal with or think about. If the boating community can come up with a solid plan explaining how we would not be a liability or how we can work together, it could be worth it.

You never know till you ask...
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #15
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Like De La said, go run an alternate stretch or river. Who cares, Upper and Lower Clear Creek will not be the only thing running at that time.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #16
Dam! What timing. Clear Creek hits 330 on the first day they closed the canyon. I hope they get the work done quickly.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote