Old 03-08-2007   #1
Class V river shoes

Im lookin for some input on who thinks that they have the best river shoes for running, scouting and portaging sketchy class V terrain. any input, whats best

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #2
Don't know if their the best, but

NRS Attack shoes got me thorugh some serious portaging over mud and ice last weekend. Very comfortable, good support, and good treads. I also really liked the ACG Nike Tokatee's, but they aren't made anymore.

"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've had a pair of Patagonia Playboots for about 6 years now, and love them. They aren't really good for a playboat unless you are really small, but I have found them to be great for creeking. Stiff sole, even some decent ankle support. Modeled after a rock boot, so it's reminiscent of the Boreal Ballet or something like that. The only downside I think is that the rubber is not the stickiest, but like a rock boot, you can resole. I would imagine few other boots in this category offer that advantage for the eco-friendly type. Good news is that there are a lot of good boots on the market now, so you should have no problem finding one you like. Buy one that fits in your boat comfortably, but buy it as if you were planning to hike a few miles and some vertical distance with your gear on your shoulder.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #4
I have a pair of Merrel river shoes. They are sweet. The soles are siped for better traction. My last pair were the Teva gammas or something, and they sucked. I prefer a higher ankle so they don't get ripped off my feet. The merrels are low top, but they have a cinch strap to tighten them over the ankle.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #5
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
I too have a pair of Merrel' river shoes. They're just like wearing a tenni but they drain like sandals and fit in my creeker. I've been wearing the same pair for 3 seasons with some pretty serious abuse and they've held up quite well! I can hike all day in them, paddle in them, portage in them, you name it.....Mine are a little bulky inside the boat so they seem a little bit tight but not enough to bother me......
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #6
Merrell waterpro

First off, I work for Merrell, so you could call this biased. The Water Pro Ultra Sport is a great water shoe, not the lowest profile. Will not fit in a playboat, but if you want a great creek shoe, and you have the room in your boat, you should really check it out. The lace system will cinch down to the point it will never come off in a bad swim. It also has an arch shank built in, so there is enough support for a long hike.

You could probably find it at REI, though I always prefer buying through a local guy.

JAX in Fort Collins
Boulder Army store
J-henry's clothing in Summit county
Ptarmigan sports in Edwards
Sports Chalet in C-Springs
Aspen Sports in Aspen
Attached Images
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #7
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I'm diggin' my P2's right now. Hoping to test them hard this season.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #8
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I haven't tried them yet but Keen has a river shoe called Hood River Boot.

Keen Footwear - Product Detail Page

I plan on getting a pair real soon. I have seen and heard great things about Keen so I'll post my thoughts after I try them out.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #9
B.V., Colorado
I also like the NRS attack shoe, it has two different insoles (firm and soft). Great for creeking, but had to take out some foam so I can barely fit them into my playboat. They keep you warm too, and stay high on your ankle so little rocks don't get in. I also have some tevas but the they suck! Boo on you teva.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have the Merrell Water Pro Ultra's too - I tried on 7 or 8 different water shoes and I liked these the best. I have had them since early '05 and they are doing well so far. My only compliant is that the mesh chafes the edges of my feet sometimes - but this might be related to wedging my feet under the thwarts in my raft. Hopefully they are using a softer more foot friendly mesh now.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote

class v