Old 06-28-2005   #1
class on Poudre or S Platte

I am planning on taking a beginner river class this weekend and was wondering if anyone was familiar w/ either Confluence Kayaks class on the Platte or Rocky Mtn Adventures class on the Poudre. If not, which river would be a better learning experience. I am a fast learner and want to get the most out of a 1-day class. thanks.

mtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #2
Confluence Kayak

I just got done taking the course from Confluence Kayak. The river course was more than I could handle. The South Platte is a class II at C470. I think either way, if you a first-timer, you will be swiming alot. We worked on eddy turns, bracing, and ferrying. It was good course and I got alot out of it. It will still take lots of practice on your own to master these skills.

chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I wouldn't expect to roll in a single day. Very few people do (I'm told) unless they're in great shape and get a well-fitted boat their first time, plus stay calm when you flip in moving water.

I took the South Platte course twice. The first time was after the single-day on flatwater, and I swam 3 times. The second time after practicing, but still without a roll and I didn't have to swim (one t-rescue).

South Platte is, from this beginner's perspective, a very good first run. The drops aren't complicated or long (there are two doubles on their lesson, but they're very doable), and the flatwater afterward is great if you have to swim.

Plus, there's no reason you should HAVE to swim on their course because the instructors will be right there for a t-rescue. It's just a matter of nerves.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #4
Colorado Kayakers

After you are done with your lesson you can join the two of us at Colorado Kayakers. It is a club for beginners to class III paddlers. It is under Yahoo groups/ Colorado Kayakers or just follow the link. We plan trips and offer advice. Check it out.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #5
Try Renaissance Adventure Guides

We have great classes offered on the South Platte on Tuesday nights at Union, excellent beginner stretch, very forgiving. We also have a Captains Club that does outings on the weekends. Check us out -, or stop by Mountain Miser!

Have fun, hope to see you out on the river-

Mike D
danneckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
The poudre would be more of a "wilderness" experience than the south platte, but if your from Denver, the stretch CK takes you down is a great beginner run that is local so you can do it over and over and over again until your ready to step it up. Easy to do before or after work, and you'll know everything you need to know to hit it with some other newbies after they take you down.

On your roll, I took me most of my first season before it was even in the same zip code as consistent. I think swimming is part of the initiation into the sport. Those who can deal with it, fall in love with the sport. The rest find something else.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #7
Trying to learn to kayak is like learning to make love. It is something that must be done over and over again to be enjoyable.

Take a couple of classes then hook up with some of the local paddlers and some people of your experience level.
You may get lucky and be able to roll the first try or it may take you alot of swimming to get it either way learning with other experienced people and practicing on a local run that you can do till you have it is the best way to go.

Confluence is good peeps.

Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote