Old 04-09-2007   #11
On the Front Range there is always Upper Boulder Creek (Buttress Section)

Runs best above 300, but fine above 200. Real fun, but real short. Great after work run, or you can do laps.

Then there is South Boulder Creek with a few portages, go with someone who knows the section.

Dumont on Clear Creek above the canyon is a series of fun IV pool drops (watch out for rafts)

Granite above Pine Creek has some fun rapids, might as well do numbers while you are there.

Gore Creek into Dowd Chute (the dowd alone takes 15 minutes)

JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
With decent snow pack on the Arkansas side and not so much on the Colorado side, Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork may see good flows this year with less diversion. That's my favorite IV run in the state--similar in difficulty to the numbers, but more continuous with lots of smooth, round rocks!

Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
hey. ive been lurking around this site for a while, and its great, but i just decided to start posting. i go to school in denver, but i grew up in durango, and, sadly, just started paddling a couple years ago. ill be in durango for this summer to guide rafts, but i also want to improve my kayak skills. im just wondering if there are any good class IV runs closer to durango that anyone would recommend. there are some great suggestions in this thread, but they are all pretty far from durango. thanks for the help.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #14
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Sure man: Piedra is IV (IV+) with two sections if the road to the middle is open. Upper is more mellow with two fours. Lower has a few fours and a 4+ with nice play on the way out. Upper A has been mentioned and Rockwood Box can be walked into, also Cacade Creek is a hike-a-boat. Lower W & E Fk SJ is III+, Stoner run on the Dolores is III+ish.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
thanks for all the info. i know the piedra only flows early in the season unless there is a lot of rain. is that true for the rest of these? probly not so much the dolores or san juan, but the others. also, what part of cascade are you talking about. i only really know about cascade canyon, and specifically the cliff-jumping part... which i would certainly not be ready to boat. thanks again, though i feel somewhat pathetic having to ask about the region that i grew up in.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #16
West Fork San Juan has some excellent IV with three Vish drops that can be portaged if you're not up for em. Hike in a little over two miles.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #17
conifer, Colorado
How would you compare Gunni Gorge to these others at average flows-500-600 cfs?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #18
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
The runs mentioned on this thread at 5-600 or Gunni Gorge at 5-6 hundo? It's pretty mellow in comparison to some mentioned on this thread. Gunni is III- at low flows, III-III+ at medium. Gunni has a lot of slack water between the drops which are relatively short at that. Many of the IV's-IV+'s mentioned here don't have nearly as much slack in between rapids (if much at all). The "slack water" on some of these is more difficult than just about anything in Gunni. The Numbers for 5-600 it's low but throughout the run you'll be dodging rocks (One through Five, little bit of slack between five/six).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #19
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B

Greg come over for a weekend in May and we can run Slaughterhouse during the day and get beers in A-town at night...maybe you'll see a movie star?
salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #20
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Piedra is a great class IV run ( the bottom box is kinda short but great rapids). The Dolores when its running, from Pumphouse to the Wall is class III but Snaggletooth is a big class IV. The Upper Animas rocks. 1300 cfs at Silverton is starting to get beefy, 900cfs to 1000cfs at Silverton is a good level for a first time, not too pushy and not too bony.A long day and cold water, be prepared. Mineral Creek from the Ophir turn off down to South Mineral is a cool creeky class IV at medium-medium low levels,300 to 400 cfs on the Mineral at Silverton gauge, a little bony but some cool moves, watch for wood. There's a rootball/ log across the creek where N Fork Mineral comes in but theres eddies above it.We paddled it this last year and got to paddle about a 120 ft through a snowbridge at the base of the Battleship, pretty cool.The run is about 2.5 miles long

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote

class iv