Old 10-11-2011   #11
Ouray & Buena Vista & Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
how late into the season does the numbers go?

one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
sounds like phil runs it year round

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #13
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Phil and I and some other takers were on there every month but December. However, if you are at all sketchy about running it be sure to get in there and know the lines perfect before ice shelves form. A swim in winter conditions with 1' thick, 10' wide ice shelves in every eddy and along the banks is a great way to drown.

Also, a guide is nice for your first run. My first ELF run was with Phil U. in January and I was very glad he was leading and that he had extensively scouted before we put on. It's about class III+ right now, with #4 and #5 needing a fairly specific line which can mess up the class III paddler. It's a small step up from Shoshone, but a good one.

I hate to say it, but I agree with CasperMike. Going straight from Shoshone to Gore is a bad idea. Maybe you can walk everything, but you will be tweaked out of your mind. I'd say it's a recipe for regression.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #14
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For sure on the Numbers. I ran Dumont and Lawson on CC a few times before the Numbers. For some reason the low pre-run scoutability had me much more nervous than CC. A great run at low flows and very boatable. As a mediocre IV boater at best, I would say Numbers at low flows may be one of the best "step-up" runs out there.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was just going to respond with, 'yer screwed', but look at all these helpful comments. The other factor is runs are getting cold right now which make things like pushing it on Gore less inviting. Then again, we ran into a crew the other day putting on for Gore who were planning on learning to roll on the paddle in so they'd be ready by the time they got into the canyon. Not sure how that trip went.

I ran Shoshone with some local a few years back while on my way to a Westwater trip. This guy had like 100 moves that he made down the like 1 mi run. I never had so much fun on Shoshone in my life trying to follow all his moves. But I can still see how the same run would get tiresome. Best bet is to wait for spring, but baring that option, I agree with driving over for some low water Pine Creek/Numbers and make a game of it as if you were playing HORSE on the school basketball court. The Royal Gorge can be run awfully low too but is a farther drive.

Side note- class IV means different things to different people. I feel like Gore is a class IV run punctuated by 2 or 3 soft class Vs. Some people consider class IV lots of class III punctuated by 1 or 2 class IVs. I know when I first thought I was a class IV boater, when I ran something that actually was pretty continuous class IV for the entire run, I got handed.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #16
x, x
Paddling Since: x
cross mountain gorge is 2hrs from you, not a bad option. goes year round
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Huh, who would have thought that Casper Mike would become the voice of reason on the buzz!!! Ha! Good post Mike!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #18
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Clear Creek Narrows?

How about the Clear Creek Narrows? We ran Black Rocks at 140ish a couple weeks ago. It was my first time ever and it was bony, but fun, way more fun then the Golden playpark. We looked at the Narrows, but we did not have the time and the hike down and hike out looked not so fun, steep scree.

I read that some of you paddle the Narrows down to 90cfs, I wouldn't think black rocks section would be good that low, as it was a bumpfest at 140ish?

So three questions:

Where do you put in for a low water narrows run, at the big pull out above that scree and back up or on the other side of the tunnel?

Not having a chance to look at the narrrows closely, is it harder then Black Rocks at elf? I don't think I like Rigomortis at any level, but Black rocks seemed fun at elf.

How low do people run both Black Rocks through the narrows?
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
CC Narrows: For the record, I say it's too low and you're better off doing flatwater tricks in the playpark, but I think some fool convinced me to do it not much off of 100 cfs a while back. There were 3 boofs as I recall. I'm sure it's better than BR rapid, so if you liked that, then I guess you should go for it. Good sloper boof practice at Mr. Bill I guess.

Walk down the scree slope just east of the Tunnel. Make your 3 boofs (<60secs). Walk up the sketchy scree slope (take care or you'll end up like Dan O.) Walk back upstream along the sketchy highway and repeat. I think the walk back up to the road is a little better if you go downstream near where the trees are on river right, but it ain't a glamorous route any way you look at it.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #20
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks KSC for the info.

I have never ran it in the 350 to 400 range, maybe not a IV, but the Royal Gorge is still an option, from what I have heard from others.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote

class iv