Old 01-23-2004   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Class III Sunday day trip?

Hey paddlers.
I'm new in the area - came from a place where I paddled warm water two or three days a week year-round.
Not being able to paddle (other than in the pool) is killing me. I did The Numbers a couple of days after christmas, but I'm a relatively new paddler and truth is I'm not ready for an ice-choked, Class 4ish creeky run. I ended up under an ice jamb (Yikes)
So I'm wondering -- is there anywhere within a five-hour drive of the Springs where we could do class III-type water without dealing with ice, soon?
I'm thinking Sunday, Feb. 1 -- I'd be willing to do 10 hours of driving for a few hours on the river. Leave early a.m. and be back late Sunday night? I could provide a ride and beer in exchange for some expertise.
If not I guess it's back to holding out til April ...
I guess I'd also be willing to drive a ways for some park n play -- are there any good ww parks that are running well enough to be worth the drive?
Thanks, all.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004   #2
San Juan/Rio Grande/Shoshone/Westwater are probably the only things running. Westwater was reported to have ice around Christmas. Shoshone probably has some.

Go skiing/snowboarding.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004   #3
Send a message via AIM to mattdanitz
If you decide to go one of these days, you should let me know. I am want to run shoshone but its hard to find the time with school and work. Email me at Its a fun run and I am dying to get in my boat. later
mattdanitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004   #4
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I'll be in Vail on Feb 1 and if the weather is nice I'll I can meet you at Shoshone. I think the Blumpkin King (if he's listening) would also want to go. reading this?
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004   #5
Waterton Canyon Run Sunday

I'm interested in doing a waterton canyon class III+ run on Sunday. Let me know if your interested. I probably won't check my email again, so you can give me a call at 970 210-4356. This run is western slope diversion dependent, so it may not be running by tomorrow, but chances are that it will.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004   #6
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho

ill be up for shosho on feb 7 or 8, but this weekend is superbowl weekend so thats out, but if anyones interested in the other dates let me know,
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004   #7
Denver, Colorado
Yeah - I'm up for shoshone Sunday if the air temp is above freezing and there's not major ice. and, Ski-kayak 365, I'll be up for it next weekend too if conditions are right

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote

class ii, class iii