Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-30-2011   #1
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
class III/IV in central Cali ? what would you want to hit?

Taking the kids out to visit Family & friends in orange county, planning to definitely spend time in the ocean, but we also want to take a little road trip (with no kiddos except my 9 month old baby) and go up the coast, and maybe get in a day run or two. I have the Gypsies guide to North America, but I am wondering if there is any obvious don't miss favorites, closer to southern Cali that anyone has? I wont have a crew, so thats a factor. just looking for ideas. thanks

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado

suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
thanks! that is perfect... I also have been looking at dreamflows as well. I would like to get up to oregon, but probably wont this trip. I also have to decide if I will lug both creeker and 4fun out there. i may not bring both since this isnt a dedicated paddling trip.

looks like south fork American should be on the list, and brush creek if I bring my superhero..
Old 07-01-2011   #4
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The Kern is closer to southern cal, but I have no idea what it's like at high water. Great boating community there, though; I am sure you could get beta from the locals. At normal flows there is a great class 3 section, as well as some 4 and even 5 sections.
boaterbrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Orange County is pretty far south, so yep - the Kern is probably your best bet. It has so many sections that I am sure you would find something suitable. The Kaweah, Kings, Merced, Tuolumne, NF Stanislaus, Mokelumne, American River (South, Middle and North forks) are all stretched along that California goodness known as the Sierra, so get out there and paddle Have fun!
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #6
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
thanks for the beta... Kernville is the destination. its only @ 4 hours from LA, and there is multiple options. Brush creek may not be running in a week, but theres plenty of options on the Kern. I can also link up with Sierrasouth and do a class IV Kern kayaking instructional trip since I dont have anyone solid to paddle with. If i find someone to paddle with I will certainly skip that, but its good to know I wont be skipping stones at the takeout all day looking for paddlers.
I want to take the playboat to go out in the ocean, but its hard to imagine going to cali
without a creekboat. may have to bring them both. it will be a hassle on the family trip- but will be very much worth it.
again, thanks for the beta I am PUMPED to go to cali now!!!!! leaving tonight....:mr green:

class ii, class iii