Mountain Buzz banner

Class III boating partners for Durango?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mads 
#1 ·
I'm a relatively new boater (1 year), but I've been doing it quite a bit at school. I ran the Chatooga (Sec. 3) this spring and I'd like to do something comparable this summer. I'm about to get home to CO and I don't know any boaters yet. I'm going to Durango from May 12th-17th. Would anyone be interested in doing some boating down there that week? I'd be up for some harder Class III stuff. I'd be happy to look at some IVs, I just might walk them.

-Lauren

#7 ·
Dfst, you can usually hook up with boaters at Smelter rapid parking lot. It's right at the Santa Rita Visitors Center. My wife and I also boat alot. Are up for local runs, plus travel alot. The town run is II-III (Smelters is burley for play but easy to run/sneak). Piedra is fairly remote IV (V), do the upper Box first to know if your ready for the lower. East fork and lower west fork of the San Juan are III+, really cool, pretty, technical, consistant cold fast flow with some good bigger drops. Great place to learn but have a good roll and eddy hopping style since there is frequently wood. I don't know if the runs are clear now but would like to find out. Dolores Stampede run is similar.

Cdale, CO Kayakers is a good site for II-III boaters, mostly front range but that's close.

PM to follow up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.