Old 04-20-2007   #1
Class 3 boating in Colorado

I'm over from the UK and will be in Colorado for the month of May. If anyone would be interested in a paddling buddy for anything up to grade 3 (maybe with portagable 4s). I'd love to get some kayaking in while I'm here.
I have my own kit, transport, and will probably be bringing a shuttle bunny. I can get to most places, starting in the Durango area on the 12 May.

Please PM me, text me, email me, or post a reply below so that everyone can get in on the finding boating buddies fun

602 505-5512

mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #2
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Hey Mads, the water should be up then. I live in the DGO area and would love to show you some runs but that's our vacation so we will probably be boating out of town on May 12! But DGO is a good place to start, the town run is II-III and there are people getting out. More will be out by May. 4 Corners Riversports ( is right at the takeout for the usual run from the 9th or 32nd streets put-ins. All of the above are good places to hook up w/ boaters.

Other IIIish runs are Dolores below Stoner, Pagosa town, E Fk (III+) and lower W Fk (III+),or main San Juan. Could also carry into the hot springs to put on for the bottom Piedra.

Where are you headed after? Maybe we will coss paths. Leroy

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #3
I have a kayak and a van and not much clue about where I'm going really. Probs going to make my way up to the Teva games in Vail. Nothing else is really planned

Any suggestions of places to go, or places where its easy to find people to boat with, would be welcome :P
Old 04-21-2007   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Check out Paddlefest in Buena Vista if you're in the area, it should be a super fun weekend. Home
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #5
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
mads we are running the upper animas on may 11. you better get here one day sooner!

ps. well its not grade III but its good!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #6
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Check out Colorado Kayakers :: Index also.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #7
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
I should also mention that the visitors center in Dgo is also right on the river (Animas) and a place where people park to walk up and play Smelter rapid. Usually people there.

The links on the flows page here in the Buzz have good run descriptions and American Whitewater has some good run beta. In terms of logistics, some hot boating areas include the Arkansas river drainage. Lots of runs and playparks at Buena Vista and Salida. 4 hrs from dgo. Gunnison, north of dgo and maybe on the way to the Ark, has a town run/park and nice class III on the Taylor and Lake Fork (III-IV) but maybe not as many boaters.

Vail, Eagle R drainage, is north of the Ark and Gore creek runs right thru. Main Eagle has III runs. Vail is on the Interstate Hwy has more population so it is harder to find dispersed (random) camping.

Then you are only hours from the front range. Get on Colorado kayakers for options there.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #8
Thanks guys. That's all useful information.

If anyone else will be about in that time period, or has any advise let me know

Old 04-23-2007   #9
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
Not to hijack the thread but I'm also going to be driving through CO in early may going south to north looking for paddling partners. I'll probably be in Durango around the 10th-11th...ish. Then north from there. I'm a class IV boater and am happy to paddle just about anything...
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #10
Thats cool, hijack away.
which direction are you coming from. I'm heading up from Phoenix (Tempe).
If you want to meet up or paddle any III's let me know