Old 05-17-2006   #1
Cinnamon Gorge (Lake Fork Gunny) late only?

Lookin' to get in there this year- I searched all of last year's beta but couldn't determine whether it's possible to nab this on the way up or not. Looks like the put-in is above 10k, so I'm guessing the season is similiar to the Crystal, etc., but would love to be wrong and hop on it soon. Anyone out there with a solid word?

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #2
Cinny Gorge

A friend and I were the ones who ran Cinnamon last summer. We went in July but I can't remember the exact date or flows. I'll look back in my "notes" and see what else was going off.

I think you could maybe correlate it with the Animas since they are on opposite sides of a pass. Seems like the Animas was around 1500-2500 at the time but I may be wrong.

Tuck up TIGHT.

Good luck,

Gordon Dalton

GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #3
i'd like to check this one out. where is it. I'm sure I can find it, but a little help would be appreciated.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #4
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i cant do much from CA, but as soon as i get back on memorial day, i will head to lake city the next day and check it out. im curious to see how henson levels are looking as well. if someone gets in there earlier, let me know

if i remember right, the lake fork at lake city was right around a grand when you guys did your 1st d last year, i went up the weekend after that and it was right around 1100.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

Cinnamon is located just west of Lake City. You follow the signs to Cinnamon Pass / Silverton past the reservoir up there. It's probably 15 miles up the road before you come into a small valley where there's a ghost town- can't recall the name but you'd see it on a Gazatteer.

The take out for this stretch is in this ghost town, but the trick is that the best take-out is a private bridge bordered by private land. Signs up everywhere. Might have to find an alternative downstream.

Gordon can tell you where he put in, but when I scoped this a few years ago, it seemed like any access requires about a 1-2 mile drive up the road Cinnamon Pass Road, and entails some hiking. I never got down to where the waterfall is because I think that would require some repelling and ascenders to get out of there.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #6
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the only true river level or near level access is from burrows park, about 5 miles up. i dont know exactly how high you guys put in, but i have extensively scouted the section from there down, and it looks pretty good. there is a fair amount of wood, and last one one or two snowbridges, but there was also a lot of clean features. someone should at least take a look.

there are two gnarly rapids just below the big falls- again, i dont know if you guys ran em, i would assume yes? since the exit pool is in a steeeeeeep walled box. its hard rock there, standard san juans volcanics. gotta love it, otherwise no got valliceto, lime, cascade, etc! after the rapids it really mellows out. from the sherman bridge its fairly easy class III down to another bridge. not sure if this bridge is public or private. the next stretch isnt boatable and goes through private land, but below that there is a nice stretch of class IV for about a half mile, and then its flat from there. that stretch is all in public land

also, forgot to add....theres potential upstream too. the river goes intermittently through willowy meadows that arent boatable and short intense micro gorges. a couple of these are clear of avvy debris (unlike the others) and have a runnable drop or two.

also, if youre in the area, look at upper upper henson creek (right below Thoreau's cabin, way above whitmore falls). theres a couple of big falls up there, dont know exactly about runnability. the second one probably goes. not sure about the first. the stretch below that too has enough flow but i havent gotten a chance to scout it top to bottom yet.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #7
Cinny Gorge

Sorry I don't have any flow data but I did look back and check on the date we ran it last year: July 10th and the flow was what I'd call *absolute* minimum for the creek. You can probably look up archival data on the Gunny or something and compare. Yes, we ran the rapids below the falls, they were actually the most "quality" of the run (except the falls of course). Make no mistake, the creek is a bit manky and has mucho mining crap in it throughout. The falls is not to be taken lightly either of course.

As far as how to get there, check out the description on the page . It shouldn't be too tough. If two dudes from Virginia can sniff it out, surely you locals can...

There is no hike-in. We walked less than 100 yards. Roadside access.

We ran some of nearby Cottonwood Creek too and it had a nice little section with a 10-15' waterfall and some tight little rapids. Might make a nice compliment to Cinny Gorge, if your back can take it.

Do I have to come out there and find some more "new goods" for you boys?

All in good fun,

Gordon Dalton
Team Eskimo USA

GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote